THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lone Star Grillz is the "chit" when it comes to vertical stick burners,... of course I'm a little biased since I own a pit that's almost identical to ssv3's.:becky:

Vertical Cabinet Smokers are usually insulated meaning that they require a fraction of the fuel that a "stick burner" would consume during a cook. Using a less expensive, predictable fuel source like a briquette charcoal in conjunction with a hard wood (for flavor) makes a bit more sense than burning wood exclusively. You can control burn times, temperatures and even amount of smoke flavor using both fuels.

You can burn sticks in a vertical smoker but from my experience they are easier, more predictable and less expensive to run (if cooking volume) on a combination of both wood and charcoal.

Thank you. Now I know what I have. Picked one up a year ago and I'm still trying to learn all the tricks of running it. I'll start a new thread to avoid hijacking, but I never knew what to call it when I asked questions.

Ben

Probably becasue it would get too hot

I bet you have never seen one of these. Its a old New Braunfels El Dorado I have at my cabin. It has the firebox underneath as you can see, it can but straight wood, charcoal, or how I have it set up in this pics to sear some steaks!! Its a great versatile pit!

d1MdnNg4NY4i-NF8khBVFwDypINzDUdD3UBUe2-bCj4=w1200-h675-no

In this pic I just took the cover off it after storage, but you can see it better.

B19evw2UjcgMBTfAAE_4vCfTRQPQaxgXF1GJgyiqWK4=w1200-h675-no

Thank you. Now I know what I have. Picked one up a year ago and I'm still trying to learn all the tricks of running it. I'll start a new thread to avoid hijacking, but I never knew what to call it when I asked questions.

Ben

yes please start a thread on this pit. I am open to suggestions and ideas how to use it better.

I cook on a vertical stick burner. I have several YouTube videos. Search Big Ron's Patio BBQ Smoker. I love it

[ame]https://youtu.be/BV7lqPKVzTI[/ame]

Last edited:
Karubecue makes a vertical wood burning smoker. It is a great smoker but is not the "conventional" stick burner. You can see it here: www.kbq.us Check out the testimonials if you wish. You can also find it on Amazon and even more reviews.

Back