is Plowboy's Yardbird still the shizz?

seattlepitboss

is one Smokin' Farker
Ten years ago when I was smoking meat a lot, I used to buy five pound bags of Plowboy's Yardbird and Bovine Bold. Never let me down once, great rubs.

Are these still popular? Is there something else everyone uses now? I have several rub recipes but if you're going to cook ribs for 125 people it's nice to just order a bag.

seattlepitboss

I am on many sites and I see lots of people using them. I had to quit due to the salt content. Like you I used to buy it in the 5lb bags.

I'm still a fan and always have both on hand. Don't use them regularly because I have a lot of rubs and like to mix things up. Actually used yardbird and honey hog on wings Friday night with a hot sauce binder. Turned out great!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Just used some this morning on breakfast Iowa pork chops on the grill. Been my go to for pork and chicken for at least ten years... I think. I am getting old and lose track of time but it has been a long time.

There are several great rubs and love to experiment, but I know yardbird gets the same great results every time we use it.

Todd gifted me one of the first bottles and like many cooks, I felt the salt level was too much for me.
In an unrelated fact, I think his restaurant in KC is closing....something about retiring.
Had one of the most singular satisfying burnt end samich ever there.
Ed

It's one of my go-to's.
I developed my own rub years ago and used variations of it exclusively until I tried PB's.
Other than mine having less salt, which is why I came up with it, they are very similar tasting.
I adjust the sugar, heat, black pepper content on mine depending on what it's going on.

I recently saw that Plowboys was closing the restaurants, but keeping the retail side going.

Also my favorite for poultry and pork. Glad to see they'll stay in business for rubs!

Have some Bovine Bold and it's good, but have found better rubs for beef.

Been using them for years and figured out most of the more expensive brands taste comparable. Can't ever go wrong with PB on Chicken & Pork

Like others here have said, I also have a cabinet full of rubs but there is one that I use more than any other and its Yardbird. Just a good overall rub.

One rub I wanted to love was Malcolm Reeds Killger Hogs rub, I love that guys videos but the rub just seems to lack flavor for me. I do like Meat Church Holy Voodoo, GREAT rub and if you have an Ace Hardware nearby they go on sale from time to time.

I use to use the Bovine Bold and liked it. Never did like yard bird. It was too salty if I remember and I like salt(My family runs low on sodium). Understand I am a little heavy handed with rubs and that doesn't work with yard bird. I'm mostly using Oakridge rubs now and sometimes Butchers BBQ. I am trying some Kosmos next. So many rubs out there and I have tried a ton. Trying to settle on a few favorites now

Minority opinion here, but I tried it years ago and was not impressed.

I ended up throwing it out after a few months of trying to figure out why everyone likes it. To me it just tasted like Lawrys with extra sugar, salt and paprika as filler.

The only "secret" is Disodium Inositate and Disodium Guanylate which are basically MSG precursors.

I have always thought that if you need chemical forms of salt to make your spices taste better, then you need to use better quality salt and definitely need to get better quality spices.

I can achieve umami without any of that crap.

Way too salty in my opinion. I want to taste the flavors that come from the spice and herb blend, and so I lean towards lower salt rubs that I can shake on really heavy without oversalting.

Just my .02c

Back