Is it worth it?!

okiesmokie78

Full Fledged Farker
So a guy I work with has an electric smoker that he doesnt want anymore, he told me if I come get it I can have it. There is one big catch though! Its got a 2-3 year old turkey carcass in it!!! For all you wondering, heres how the story goes: He was going to smoke a turkey for Thanksgiving a few years back and he started it all up and was going good, but a ice storm came through and knocked the power out. No big deal though, he checked and the temp was still ok so he waited around for power to come back on and restarted it up and went to bed. Well apparently in the night the power went out again and he lost the temp and the turkey was no good anymore. So he told himself when he got back home from work he would clean it out and all would be allright. However later that day he got to feeling ill and ended up having a heart attack! So after all the surgery and rehab and all that the turkey carcass was the last thing on his mind. So there it sat for almost 3 years and now he wants to get rid of it. My question is you think it can be saved or is it not worth the effort?

I suppose it could be cleaned up, but something tells me it could be really funky so I'd pass on that.

But I do have a great Thanksgiving electric smoker story... one year I was cooking a brisket and the outside temps were hovering around 0°. I had the pit sort of on auto pilot and met some friends at a neighborhood watering hole for cocktails and to watch a football game. A husband and wife at the next table overheard us talking about smoking a brisket and mentioned they just moved to town and had a brand new electric smoker and were doing their first ever smoked turkey. After a 2 or 3 hour period I mentioned to them how smart it would be to check their bird since the outside temps can play tricks with a smoker.... and the husband told me he thought of that so they set it up in a spare bedroom.

He said there is no smell anymore and its just a solid mas stuck to the rack. His thought was pull it out to the curb toss the rack and carcass and water pan and head to the carwash!

Has he taken it up to smoking temperature? Smells are activated by heat.

After three years I suspect there isn't much too it but a huge mass of bacteria. I'd pass. Electric smokers are not expensive.

Yes!!! You don't just pass up an opportunity like this! Just burn it out like a drum. People use old oil drums so a turkey carcass is nothing. Who cares if it messes up the electronics :becky:

every time i think about buying a cooker off CL this runs thru my mind. how would i possibly know what they cooked, left in the cooker or did to the cooker before they sold it to me.:puke: in this case you do know so i would definitely pass.

hope i didn't just give all you CL deal lovers the heebee-geebees. :shock:

Hmmm not sure I would want to cook on it but I would like to see the 3 year old carcass. Curious minds want to know.

There is no possible way you could get me to fire that thing up.

I'd rather have a good basted, well smoked rat from my smoker than any electric whatever.

That's why Craig's list is kinda scary don't know what people have cooked in it never know anymore might have had body parts in it who knows

Back