THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Biloxidman

is One Chatty Farker
I picked up a 3 3/4 lb corned beef brisket at Sam's. This will be my 2nd time. The first one I did I soaked in the fridge for 2 days in water to remove the salt, then smoked between 295-310 in a shallow pan for 2 hours till it hit 165, then added. 1/2 cup of dark beer and went till probe tender, about another hour and 15 minutes. I then double wrapped in foil, put it in an oven preheated to 250, turned off the oven and let it sit for 2 hours. That one came out great.

I think I want to try this one without the pan. Anyone have any suggestions?

Is this Pastrami or brisket? Or does it really matter as long as it's good? :clap2:

Pastromi is seasoned Smoke to 165 and steamed to tender. What you are doing is akin to smoked corn beef

I wouldn't call it pastrami unless you use a pastrami rub. It would need a minimum of coriander and black pepper to meet my definition.

After you desalt the corned beef to reduce saltiness. Use a 50/50 mix of coarsely ground Black Pepper and Coriander Seeds. Cover the meat generously and smoke away. Follow your other steps, steaming/resting etc.

This is what I ended up with after the first try.

3F3D5DBC-4A0B-495A-BC3F-6CB6FD11A4A2_zpsureqc8kn.jpg

I guess this time I'm doing a hybrid corn beef/pastrami/hunk of beef.

I dried it and rubbed it with Stubbs Beef rub and some ground black pepper, garlic and sea salt and let it sit in the fridge for a couple of hours while I got everything else ready.

Getting ready to go on.

616C2CCC-B748-4A6B-81A2-79DAE16680F6_zpsqrkvsrtm.jpg

2 1/2 hours in IT at 156 and Big Joe is steady at 265.

66789E56-0854-4023-B895-45CFD0FD6F42_zpszugubwgb.jpg

I plan to wrap again at 165 and have what I think will work really nicely!
B9DFF45C-B4B7-491F-83A9-049BC08845EC_zps8hg0alf5.jpg

Stone Self Righteous Black IPA! :-D

Back