Is it legal.....

I was told that the word "parted" referred to the practice of dissecting and then cooking the individual muscles in a butt. Apparently this was a practice of some cooks prior to the rule. Also it was instituted to prevent a cook from submitting sliced loin or tenderloin. However it was and is most disappointing to learn that the "rule" has been and is bent by prominent teams some of whom are closely associated with the KCBS BODs. I refer to the now common practice of "trimming" parts of the butt or butterflying in order to have acceptible pieces for slicing which is in violation of the rule as I originally interpreted it. Unfortunately no matter how well the rules are written, some teams will find ways to bend them to their needs. This is why the reps are there. But, it would be helpful if the Reps reported decisions made in the field and perhaps later ratified by the board in the form of a " Rules Decision Section" published on the website.

Butterflying has always been acceptable and was never considered "parting".
Parts is parts. One part is not parted.

Being one who has never competed in a sanctioned event but would like to someday I have found this to be a very informative thread. Thank you all. What really concerns me though is that it seems the world of competitive Q'ing is in danger of falling prey to lawyers!:eek:

The way I see it is if the meat is attached then it isn't parted, so cook it how you want til it becomes a issue and then deal with it. If it needs pulled at 185* then do it. When it's done, it's done. I think some are thinking way too hard here. IMO

How do you cut the Money muscle?

Anyone have any diagrams? Or instructions? I've only turned it in pulled.

Back