Is it a sin to...

I use the crock pot for all kinds of stuff. Great for the winter when you want something warm when you get home and dips and soups. If I have leftover chuckie or pulled pork then I'll throw it in with some liquids and let them warm up slowly...still tastes like BBQ, just don't have to worry about drying it out.

I'm also with the others on the recipes...that stuff sounds fantastic.

I prefer my meats kissed with fire, but a good crock puts out a flavor all its own, that holds a high standard.

My mum had a crock pot when I was growing up. Didn't think the brand existed anymore as I haven't seen it in Australia. But, we do have slow cookers.

Soe recipes would be cool. Doing lasagne in the crock pot is an interesting idea.

I use the crock pot at least once a year along with my 18 quart roaster to make and can fresh salsa. It works great to reheat pulled pork or a lot of other things. I say if you like to use it..go for it!

I put two cups of steel cut oats and eight cups of water in mine. Then it goes on a timer that runs it for three hours on high before I wake up. I have fresh oatmeal the next morning and reheat until it is gone when I start the process again. I have oatmeal every day.

Clearly there are others here who are getting much more use out of their crock ports than me. Maybe I need to search for a crock pot forum. Nah... I already eat too much and don't need more ideas for good food...

Carne guisada is the best. Plated along with rice, and pour the sauce on top of the rice, fried plantain on the side, Shazaaaam gud!!

My mom even asked me for my recipe for crockpot beef and noodles. I told her to cut a decent sized chuck roast into two pieces to fit the crockpot. Then put one half into the crockpot, followed by one half package of onion soup mix, one half can of mushroom pieces and ends, and a sprinkling of italian seasonings. Repeat with the second half of the roast. Turn the crockpot on high for one hour to get it cooking, then turn to low. I usually put the roast on around 10 pm and let it cook all night and until I get home from work in the evening. By then you can shred the beef with a spoon. Add one cup of water and a package of brown gravy mix, and stir. Add a package of egg noodles, and cook until the noodles are tender. Makes a delicious dinner, and great leftovers. :-D

Lasagna is pretty simple in the crock pot. I just take dry homemade lasagna noodles and a homemade sauce, then mix ricotta, mozza, and parmesan together for the cheese layer. Goes meat sauce, cheese, noodles. Up and up and up. Last layer, the very top one, gets layered with just mozza cheese. Blammo. Cook it on high for an hour or two, basically until it looks right. Tastes great. Rice milk is even easier, two cups brown rice, one gallon of water, cook it on high for about four hours or until it starts to bubble and foam. Then you just do a ratio of 4 cups rice mix and 4 cups water in a blender, blend it down, strain it twice, and then pour into whatever jugs. We add some fat, salt, and sugar, then whatever flavorings we want. Either vanilla, chocolate, strawberry, and that's about it. Every now and again we'll do chocolate and peppermint though.
Kids love sucking down milk, but I can't keep all six of them swimming in three gallons a day of the stuff, so we make the rice milk instead. They gobble that stuff down, and even I like the vanilla version.

Hook, line and sinker, the recipe for the bread-

3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast
6 1/2 cups AP unbleached flour

Mix the yeast, salt, and water. Then mix that with the flour in whatever you use to mix, I use a kitchenaid with a dough hook. Once the mixture is uniform, it will be kind of wet, place it in a covered but not airtight container. Wait two hours, then the dough is ready to use. portion it into one pound portions. Place a piece of parchment paper in your crock pot to cover the entire bowl. Place your one pound portion of dough in. Put the crockpot on high. Wait approximately one hour until the top of the bread is firm. Once it is firm remove the bread and place it under the broiler for approx five minutes or until the bread is brown to your liking. Now comes the hard part...wait until it is cool to cut it and enjoy. You can also make small portions and make rolls.

If the fellow brethren wont disown me I would gladly do a pron heavy post on how to do this. I dont know if you can post with pics about a crockpot cook though...I might never be taken seriously.

Hook, line and sinker, the recipe for the bread-

3 cups lukewarm water
1 1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp yeast
6 1/2 cups AP unbleached flour

Mix the yeast, salt, and water. Then mix that with the flour in whatever you use to mix, I use a kitchenaid with a dough hook. Once the mixture is uniform, it will be kind of wet, place it in a covered but not airtight container. Wait two hours, then the dough is ready to use. portion it into one pound portions. Place a piece of parchment paper in your crock pot to cover the entire bowl. Place your one pound portion of dough in. Put the crockpot on high. Wait approximately one hour until the top of the bread is firm. Once it is firm remove the bread and place it under the broiler for approx five minutes or until the bread is brown to your liking. Now comes the hard part...wait until it is cool to cut it and enjoy. You can also make small portions and make rolls.

If the fellow brethren wont disown me I would gladly do a pron heavy post on how to do this. I dont know if you can post with pics about a crockpot cook though...I might never be taken seriously.

Last edited:
Crockpot + cheap roast + onion soup mix + beer = super easy weeknight french dip sandwiches :thumb:

We have several crock pot but seldom use them , my favorite thing is electric pressure cooker, Matter of fact I order an 8 qt one yesterday

Back