THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Before I started competing, I made things differently. Spicy vinegar sauce on pulled pork, no sauce on brisket or ribs. Since last year, pretty much every cook I've done has had some competition "practice" aspect to it. So, I've been eating a lot of sauced ribs, sweet sauced pork, etc. The people I cook for at home may prefer one over the other, but so far it still gets eaten quite rapidly.

I haven't tried injecting briskets with Fab or whatever, so there may be some differences there if I was. I hear people say the competition brisket they make is too rich or whatever to eat more than a few bites.

I find comp meat is awfully intense for everyday eating, in fact my daughter doesn't like it at all but loves the everyday product we cook at home or the restaurant.

The comparison I like to draw is competition bbq is to "regular" bbq as fudge is to chocolate chip cookies. Fudge can be good, but most people don't want to eat a lot of it in one sitting. On the other hand, just try to keep cookies around and see how long they last!

I find comp meat is awfully intense for everyday eating, in fact my daughter doesn't like it at all but loves the everyday product we cook at home or the restaurant.

The comparison I like to draw is competition bbq is to "regular" bbq as fudge is to chocolate chip cookies. Fudge can be good, but most people don't want to eat a lot of it in one sitting. On the other hand, just try to keep cookies around and see how long they last!
Nicely said!:p

I do alot the same as far as spices, sauces mostly because I cook what I like at comps although I do cut down on the "moisture inhancers" in my injections...at home I dont trim as much and I cook my ribs longer so they are "fall off the bone", cant turn those ribs in, judges think they are over done.

I started out cooking the way we liked it. We did very well at most of the comps. Last year, I changed a little and tried to cook what I was told by some Judges they were looking for. Well we tanked in just about every comp we entered. This year we are going back to old school. Cooking what we and our family & friends like.

When I'm catering I cook the way I always do. I haven't had any complaints yet, just return business. I figure that is what got me the business to start with.

Mike

Thanks for the feed back I cook the same way only prep. times different. For party brine chicken 24 hrs air dry in fridge 24 hr, meats rub injected and or both 24 plus hours at comp. same but shorter.

No way, I cook tottally different for Comps than at home.

Comps: I inject, trim and make everything so dang sweet it is unbearable.

Home: I dont inject, I dont trim (as much as I do for a comp) and I make it spicier than I do for a comp.

When I cook for family, I use spicier rubs and sauces. I still prep the meat the same and follow most comp techniques. I had a brother come to a comp one time. He started eating the ribs and asked what I did to 'em. I said I have to sweeten them up for competition. He response was he liked my other ones a lot better.

From some of these answers, I wish yall would do the same for comps as you do at home. Judging, I find a lot of it way too sweet, especially super-sauced chicken. I'd love a little spice!

Of course, that would give you lower scores from the wimpy judges...

From some of these answers, I wish yall would do the same for comps as you do at home. Judging, I find a lot of it way too sweet, especially super-sauced chicken. I'd love a little spice!

Of course, that would give you lower scores from the wimpy judges...

I am 6' 3", lean 225 lbs, former Navy Seal, and I love sweet sauce, especially on chicken. Tell me to my face I am a wimpy judge...wimp!!!!
Gotcha !!:biggrin:

Home VS. Comp

My home BBQ is different because this is where I get to experiment and my friends get to be my guinea pigs.

Cheers!

for the exception of pork butts, i've cooked competition BBQ and nothing but competition bbq over the past 5 years. It's a pain in the a$$ and i only do it for special occasions, if not for just the sake of practicing. I cooked Comp. quality BBQ for about 60 people for my step-dad's 75th b-day party.. it wore me out, but everyone loved it.

Depends on the meat for us. I love our comp. pork and brisket, but comp. chicken and ribs are too sweet. I like more of the dry rubs with maybe a touch of sauce.

I believe too many entries rely on sweetness. Sweet sauces seem to be popular with many judges –– personally, I find it boring. I agree with you, Kim... my taste buds prefer dry barbecue.

Back