THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kai
Back in the late 60's and early 70's I was growing up in So Calif. The family had a boat and my father and I fished the salt like fanatics. He taught me to smoke fish on a Little Chief or Big Chief Smoker (I can't remember which).

As I grew into adulthood I lost my father, kept fishing, and kept smoking. To shorten this up, I now live in the Sierra's and generally fish fresh water a couple times a week; practicing catch and release.

Typically I buy salmon from Costco three or four times each winter and smoke that in my Yoder. I don't think the Yoder will run low enough to smoke fish in the summer heat. I use a dehydrator for jerky. Now I would like to start smoking some of what I catch. I am longing for the old days I guess and looking for something simple that I can use often.

I ordered a Big Chief Smoker to go back to the future. Now I am having second thoughts thinking that the Yoder is all I need. I was thinking that smoking fish/jerky with a couple pans of chips in the Big Chief would be great for flavor and then finishing the protein as appropriate (oven for fish and jerky in the dehydrator).

Am I just pissing money away with the Big Chief?

On a side note, my neighbor has complained to my homeowners association at least 15 times in the last year regarding me smoking meat. Last Saturday I was doing two butts on my reverse flow and the HOA president actually came over because of the ongoing phone calls and complaints. I gave him a tour and found that we shared some of the same interests. He advised that they (HOA) can't regulate this conduct. This next Saturday I am doing fifteen racks for a birthday party. The more things I can smoke the better. May even take up cigars or a pipe. Screw him (neighbor)!

https://www.sportsmans.com/outdoor-...ig-chief-front-load-electric-smoker/p/1007779

Back