Is a Big Chief Worth It?

Kai Yaker

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Kai
Back in the late 60's and early 70's I was growing up in So Calif. The family had a boat and my father and I fished the salt like fanatics. He taught me to smoke fish on a Little Chief or Big Chief Smoker (I can't remember which).

As I grew into adulthood I lost my father, kept fishing, and kept smoking. To shorten this up, I now live in the Sierra's and generally fish fresh water a couple times a week; practicing catch and release.

Typically I buy salmon from Costco three or four times each winter and smoke that in my Yoder. I don't think the Yoder will run low enough to smoke fish in the summer heat. I use a dehydrator for jerky. Now I would like to start smoking some of what I catch. I am longing for the old days I guess and looking for something simple that I can use often.

I ordered a Big Chief Smoker to go back to the future. Now I am having second thoughts thinking that the Yoder is all I need. I was thinking that smoking fish/jerky with a couple pans of chips in the Big Chief would be great for flavor and then finishing the protein as appropriate (oven for fish and jerky in the dehydrator).

Am I just pissing money away with the Big Chief?

On a side note, my neighbor has complained to my homeowners association at least 15 times in the last year regarding me smoking meat. Last Saturday I was doing two butts on my reverse flow and the HOA president actually came over because of the ongoing phone calls and complaints. I gave him a tour and found that we shared some of the same interests. He advised that they (HOA) can't regulate this conduct. This next Saturday I am doing fifteen racks for a birthday party. The more things I can smoke the better. May even take up cigars or a pipe. Screw him (neighbor)!

https://www.sportsmans.com/outdoor-...ig-chief-front-load-electric-smoker/p/1007779

Back