THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

NCsmoker

Knows what a fatty is.
First off I will say I am sorry for not taking any pictures of this but if I had not promised my two boy that I would do some BB ribs for them It would of not been done this weekend. I caught a case of crud and did not feel like doing much of anything. I will say this I followed the instructions that John has on his web site for hooking the IQ 110 to the Webber 22.5 and foiled the grate as he suggested. I figured the Webber would cook the ribs faster. I lite about 2 1/2lb of Stubbs (give or take) using a small propane torch like you use for sweating copper pipe (works great for me) and let it catch for a good 10 min and then put the lid on the Kettle. I closed the upper vent down to about 1/8 since instructions says the blower needs resinstance. The temp probe was put down through the dome vent also. When I pluged the unit in and set the temp dial to 250 the green light started flashing which indicated the temp was still low and the fan started blowing. It was cycling off and on which susprised me because I figured it would come on and keep blowing until it reached the temp. I then left and let the IQ do it's thing for 25 min and when I went back to the cooker the green lite was steady. I took the lid off to put the two slabs of BB on which I had cut in half so they would fit and notice right off that the light was now flashing red green, red green which I understand is susposed to happen because the processer knows there is a rush of oxygen comming into the cooking area. After putting the lid back on I got a red condition for about 15 min and then it settled back in to the steady green. I guess I had the lid off for a good 3 min putting the ribs on and adding some pecan wood for the smoke which caused a spike. I started the ribs at 1:00 pm and the IQ stayed a steady green as I checked on it off and on. I then took the lid off again at 2:30 to check on the progress and got the red greed lite again which I was expecting at this point. I was not sure if I was going to need more charcoal but decided to put on another 10 bricks and put the lid on. Once again red lite but it did not last long. I figured that the new coals maybe cooled the fire down some. I keep checking on the IQ ever 15 min and it was a steady green every time I look at it. Around 4:00 I pulled the lid again to check on progress and felt the ribs were done looking at the pullback on the bones I went ahead and saused them at that point and closed off the upper vent and turned off the IQ but left the ribs on the kettle as I did some other things. I went back down at 4:15 saused again and pulled the ribs at 4:30. I have to say the ribs were good. I guess the most important point of this post is that the IQ110 did what it was susposed to do and that is to maintain a steady temp which it did. I realy wanted to test this thing on my UDS and will as soon as I can but if it does as good a job on it as it did on the Webber it is well worth the money my wife spent on me. Set and forget.

Good to know that it works, does it not have a setting to shut the fan down for a bit while the lid is open?

Nope it does not and they say not to reboot it since that throws the processor off. Best to just let it settle back down on its own.

Thanks for the post, I have one ordered. It's on backorder, expected to ship in three weeks, can't wait to try it out.

Very cool, thanks for the update. Hope you're better now and over the crud.

I ordered on yesterday. With the Standard adapter and the BSK adapter. I hope my experiences are as good as yours.

Back