THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

B

BlueHowler

For my birthday my wife wants to get me a probe thermometer but the Thermapin at around $90 bucks is a bit much for our budget at this time.

So my question is what is a good one for less than $50?

ThermoWorks RT600C same company just 6 second read time. Look on Amazon. Think I paid $30.

There's only one instant read thermometer as far as I'm concerned...Thermapen. Combine your budget for this birthday and the next and get a Thermapen...:thumb:

I have a Taylor that I picked up at Lowe's for $20 and it's accurate to 3 tenths of a degree and reads in about 4 seconds.

That's what I use until budget allows for a Thermapen.

Call Thermapen and ask if they have any refurbished ones available. They are usually around $55.00 and come with a 30 day warranty which is plenty of time to make sure it's working properly.

ThermoWorks RT600C same company just 6 second read time. Look on Amazon. Think I paid $30.

I've used this. Works great. Not sure I understand why I need to spend more $$ on a Thermapen for a 3 second faster read. If anyone would like to make me eat my words, I would like a blue Thermapen please :becky:

This one looks good it can be calibrated if ever needed its 20 bucks

http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html
rt301wa_z_b.jpg

I have this one works good. I also have a Thermapen too.
http://www.thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt600b.html

This is the one I have ( mine says RT600C ) can't beat it for the price. Same company with good reliability which I didn't find in the cheap taylors I had purchased from HD. For those of us who can't afford a Thermopen this is a great option.

Edit: yeah the RT600C is the 5-6 second version of the 600 line for 4 dollars more. Get that one.

I have a thermapen. I also have the RT600C. I also have a taylor. I like them all. For the price, the RT600C is a good one and I like the step-down probe tip (see AustinKnight picture above) better than the taylor.

Thanks for all the info guys! I went with the RT600C it looks like just what I need.

Back