THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sean "Puffy" Coals

is one Smokin' Farker
Anyone ever used instant apple cider in a rub? I bought a box from work. It comes in little packets that you mix with water. Im thinking of mixing it with my usual pork rub for a whole loin im doing tomorrow, but worried that it might be too sweet. Any thoughts?

CAM00587_zpsc906ef68.jpg

The directions say to add 6-8 oz of water to make a drink. I'm thinking i'll need at least 2 packets to cover the whole loin.

Anyone ever used instant apple cider in a rub? I bought a box from work. It comes in little packets that you mix with water. Im thinking of mixing it with my usual pork rub for a whole loin im doing tomorrow, but worried that it might be too sweet. Any thoughts?

A cider powder pack has 20g of sugar per. Depending upon the number of packets you use in the rub, add other sweeteners last in small amounts and increase according to taste. You don't want the apple flavor to get overpowered by other sugars.

Here it is- 12.03lb boneless whole loin. It's sitting on a 12x17 baking pan, so that makes it about 23" long.

CAM00590_zps64a5e9e4.jpg

I cut it almost in half, making the thicker end a little shorter to compensate. I was trying to get the 2 pieces to be similar in volume as possible.

CAM00591_zps14d52783.jpg

I trimmed the fat cap down a little to even it out and scored it. Some of my scoring went a little too deep, but it should be fine.

I decided to do the one half with my normal amount of rub and the other piece I sprinkled a packet of the cider mix over the meat and then did a light coat of my rub to let the apple flavor come thru and not make it overly sweet.

CAM00592_zps48bedf90.jpg

The top piece has the cider/light rub, the bottom is the one I prepared as I normally would.

They went on the drum about 2 hrs ago at 250*. I haven't done a loin in a while, but I believe they only take around 4-5hrs due to not having any bones (which act like heat sinks).

I'll post pics of the finished product later. Thanks for looking!

This is a great idea. I've seen those packets before, and I'm really interested to see how this turns out. I'm guessing it will be very good.

Another idea, if you have a homemade rub recipe, use the cider powder in place of part of or all of your sugar.

Are you taking them to a temp of around 145? At 250, I doubt they'll take as long as 4 hours, so keep an eye on them.

Well, i just sliced off a little piece of the bark on the apple cider one because Im impatient. Now, I am nervous! I did taste some of the apple flavor, but i also tasted creosote... something may have gone wrong during the cook as i wasnt watching the temps and stuff as closely as i should have.

Ill let everyone know how it turned out after the rest.

Well, kinda got mixed results...

CAM00594_zps4ef7d08d.jpg

CAM00595_zpsa867e0f9.jpg

CAM00596_zps86a53383.jpg

So, the flavor that I thought was creosote was only present on the piece that I put the cider powder on. I don't know what happened- maybe some of the flavorings in the powder doesn't mix with the cherry wood smoke????

Anyway, the piece that just had my normal rub came out pretty good, but a little on the dry side.

All in all, the results are inconclusive. I think I need to try this experiment again. Maybe next time I'll use just plain charcoal and no smoke wood? Or maybe I should just use it to make a cup of cider and use it as an injection?

Anyway, thanks for looking!

Back