THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Buddy5398

Got rid of the matchlight.
I'm going to install an adapter into my WSM so I can use my Digiq. I don't want to put it in one of the vent holes but rather prefer to drill a hole and mount it there. I haven't received the adapter yet but in the pics it looks like there is no step or shoulder for it to brace against on the outside. What prevents it from falling into the pit? Any hints, suggestions or warnings. TIA

I dont think I would add a hole into the fire box area. I would go with the original design that way you wont have an exposed metal edge that will eventually rust and break the enamel coating.

I received the adapter today and it does have a shoulder on it so all is good. Inserting the adapter into a proper fitting hole will provide a more efficient airflow. When using one of the existing holes, the fit is not flush.

I promise you, using it the way it’s designed is very efficient. If you’re dead set on drilling a hole do it, but it’s designed to go through the vent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I received the adapter today and it does have a shoulder on it so all is good. Inserting the adapter into a proper fitting hole will provide a more efficient airflow. When using one of the existing holes, the fit is not flush.

Hope I caught you in time. I run a DigiQ on my WSM. I have it set up as per the instructions, through one of the lower vent holes and it works just like advertised. Good air flow and maintains temps rock steady. Rethink cutting another hole in your unit.

Hope I caught you in time. I run a DigiQ on my WSM. I have it set up as per the instructions, through one of the lower vent holes and it works just like advertised. Good air flow and maintains temps rock steady. Rethink cutting another hole in your unit.

Agree. No need to cut a hole especially if it's above vent level. I have a PartyQ which is the same except battery operated only. Same adapter as the DigiQ. I have the WSM 18.5 and have done many overnight brisket cooks while sleeping soundly knowing that the temp will be the same as I let it the night before (275*F).

The key is knowing WHERE to angle the back plate that holds the adapter. It has approx. a 20* opening that diverts airflow to the coals. I found the 8 o'clock is best on my smoker. It creates a swirl or vortex air flow around the coals. Coal burns evenly and holds temps dead on. All other vents closed except the top vent at 50% on overnight cooks.

3jeYJjS.jpg

Just my .02 and Good Luck!

Back