Inject or Brine

tb80

Take a breath!
Why brine versus inject and/or vice versa for a smoked turkey? It would seem that injecting is quicker and easier but it appears most people brine. Just trying to figure out why do one versus the other.

BOTH

I've never injected the "traditional" injection in either chickens or turkeys, so I can't really say that one's better than the other, but I would say that if there's any risk at all, it's that the injection doesn't get as evenly distributed as a brine.

I like to brine and then inject with melted butter on cook day.

neither. so much work and you need a place to store a bird in liquid overnight. i have made two turkeys over the last week (per pound price is lower than chicken right now - why not? :) spatchcocked (butterflied) both and both were ready in under two hours at around 325.

you can add an herb paste before you put it on the cooker.

1/2 tsp salt per pound, rubbed all over bird and left uncovered in a fridge for at least 4 hours. the science of why it works so well is on amazing ribs dot com.

+1 on both.

I used to just inject the brine but now inject and then soak over night.

When you inject you can see it plump up and get inside. soaking afterwards keeps the brine and helps make sure you did not miss anywhere.

I usually brine, but after all the info on here, this year im gonna try spatchcock, dry brine, inject melted butter, and smoke!

I just asked a similar question in the stickied thread above.

I think I'm going to try both this year!

Did both last week and it was great. Brining does impart some flavor, but really helps with moisture. Then the injection can ad lots of flavor.

Some people do one or the other and some don't do either. Give all the combos a try and see which you like.

I will be doing both. a basic brine for 2 days followed by an injection of Butcher's Honey Bird Booster and butter infused with onion and garlic.

I brine for smoked turkeys and inject for deep fried.

Brine in my opinion is by far the best for smoked turkey.

Back