THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

thirdeye

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Batch Image
I've never refused a request to use any of my pictures, in fact it's kind of flattering when a magazine, cook book, newspaper, or how-to video asks permission. And because it's so commonplace, it's kind of funny when I find them being used without my permission.

I happened upon another stolen photo today, and what's really funny... it's on a website for a BBQ restaurant, advertising "their" pulled pork and also appears in their photo gallery. I'm betting the photo was swiped by the web design company and the restaurant owner never thought to question it. However, I'm wondering how many $90 Party Packs I've helped them sell over the years, and I sure hope their pork looks as good as mine does. :mrgreen:

Here is a snip from their web page and my original photo below.

GOniTar.jpg

Give 'em a holler! If they're nearby maybe you'll at least get a free plate out of it.

Given your take on this, you're obviously a patient and reasonable person, which is always a good thing.

That pork does look really good, too. I think I might steal it. :hungry:

Wayne,

Things like this are really sad to see. At one time most businesses would do the honorable thing and contact you.

I am seeing more and more of things like this, and have gotten to the point I don't post pictures or tutorials anymore without a watermark.

Some sites have even copied the text word for word and post the info as their own, so now I save the tutorials as a PDF and screen-shot the PDF to convert it to a JPG file. They can't copy the text that way.

But in the end, I know they could never find a better picture of pulled pork than that one.

A friend had one of his pics stolen and posted by someone else as their own. He ran across the post and posted a comment something like: the ribs I cooked last month looked much better than yours. It was the exact same pic.

Wayne,

Things like this are really sad to see. At one time most businesses would do the honorable thing and contact you.

I am seeing more and more of things like this, and have gotten to the point I don't post pictures or tutorials anymore without a watermark.

Some sites have even copied the text word for word and post the info as their own, so now I save the tutorials as a PDF and screen-shot the PDF to convert it to a JPG file. They can't copy the text that way.

But in the end, I know they could never find a better picture of pulled pork than that one.

Thanks for the kind words. From what I've experienced the people that do take the time to track you down are truly genuine, and always offer to give credit. I do the same for any of the Guest Pit Bosses on my cookin' site. I credit them either in the introduction to their full write-up, or a corner acknowledgement if I'm featuring just the photo.

It goes without saying that your curing articles and posts are not only accurate, but you took the time to research and then explain the importance of the particular steps and techniques, and always reinforce the need to use 'tested and proven' methods. Plus recommending the Kutas or Marianski brothers books. So, I don't blame you for the added protections.

Give 'em a holler! If they're nearby maybe you'll at least get a free plate out of it.

Given your take on this, you're obviously a patient and reasonable person, which is always a good thing.

That pork does look really good, too. I think I might steal it. :hungry:

These guys are a family owned Bar-B-Que joint, with very, very reasonable prices, in a southern town of 6,000 and currently only able to sell take-out barbecue. I'm at best, a backyard Barbecuist, and an amateur photographer... I'm pretty hard to rub the wrong way. I did look to see if they had T-shirts, maybe for a trade, but they don't.

A friend had one of his pics stolen and posted by someone else as their own. He ran across the post and posted a comment something like: the ribs I cooked last month looked much better than yours. It was the exact same pic.

That's a good one..., maybe I should email to ask if they are hiring, and guarantee I can make pulled pork exactly the way they show it on their website. :laugh:

There is a “Texas Twinkies” photo that Ive seen multiple people use. Used for advertising, memes etc. I’ve only had one photo that I know showed up elsewhere on another forum.
Only one-My feels are hurt :grin:

Don’t say anything in person you wouldn’t wanted printed in the newspaper (remember them?)
Don’t say anything in the phone you don’t want played back to you in court

I can understand people being upset getting your work taken. It’s not something I tend to dwell on.If I posted in the public domain, it’s a risk

Last edited:
Back