THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

theTastyCat

Full Fledged Farker
Hey all - decided to do a trial run of SirPorkaLot's smoked meatloaf on the new Pecos before I do it for real on Thanksgiving!! I made two, both placed the same distance from the firebox - one came out magnificently after I pulled it while it was reading 155/160 throughout, but the other was a HOT MESS. Checking temp with the Thermapen, parts of it were 170/175 while some parts were still 142!!! I just don't understand why one would be even throughout and the other would be so variable. I dared not pull it before it was reading at least 155 everywhere since it's got ground pork in it :/

The recipe did call for gouda chunks, and I cut them about 1" square - I think I'll aim for 1/2" chunks next time. Several of them melted right through the cooking grate, and maybe that introduced some variation in temps?

Otherwise, I'm at a total loss - how could one meatloaf be so even and the other so uneven, resulting in a dry, hard finished product? Even probing it with the Thermapen I could tell it was gonna be too tough :(

As it was my very first cook on the new Pecos, there were some temp swings - hopefully I can ride it closer to 300 the whole time on Thursday.

I will greatly appreciate your insight, Brethren!!!

Your expertise is warmly welcomed!!

I am not a stick burner but, what I can think of would be some major hot or cold spots and if the loaf wasn't uniform in shape or density.

Ok, I think my issues may have been caused by having one of the meatloafs (meatloaves?) closer to the door which isn't quite sealed up yet - for now I'll keep things away from the door until I've got more cooks on it!

Back