In Search Of Thin Blue Smoke

JVM59

Full Fledged Farker
How is the thin, blue smoke achieved that is optimal for smoking? I have heard
that white smoke is a fire starved for oxygen, but when I open the air intake
to add more oxygen, the pit temp. rises. What about the exhaust vent?
Thanks in advance.

My large BGE doesn't like to run cleanly between 225º-250º either. I've found that in order to achieve a clean burning fire with lump charcoal, I need to be closer to 275º. At that temperature, it will run close to 15 hours if necessary. You may find as I did that if you want to cook at those lower temperatures, you'll have better luck with a different type of cooker. After I read that Aaron Franklin's go to temperature for most meats is about 275º, I never worried about cooking below that on my egg or my offset for that matter.

JokerBroker's got this ^^

I find 275 is where my two cookers will hum like a top. Anytime I try to get them to 225, I get that bitter ugly smoke. Clean heat is where it's at. I use to worry that 275 was too hot and, also after reading Franklin's BBQ Manifesto, I find that the water pan is my hedge against too hot of a temp spike.

In other words, 275 almost ensures you'll be getting a decently-clean fire. Another possibility is going ultra-clean, the so-called wavy-line transparent smoke, but that'll require using a lot less fuel. If I have time, I'll cook with my firebox door open and use a half or even quarter of a split to add on top of my coal bed. I like the wavy-line version, but it's a lot of labor.

On the LSG either use a maze in the charcoal basket or using water may allow you to open the exhaust without temps going crazy. How are you starting your fire? Sometimes a cabinet just needs time to settle in before it runs clearer. It doesn't have to be 100 percent clear though.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

My large BGE doesn't like to run cleanly between 225º-250º either. I've found that in order to achieve a clean burning fire with lump charcoal, I need to be closer to 275º. At that temperature, it will run close to 15 hours if necessary. You may find as I did that if you want to cook at those lower temperatures, you'll have better luck with a different type of cooker. After I read that Aaron Franklin's go to temperature for most meats is about 275º, I never worried about cooking below that on my egg or my offset for that matter.

Ditto. 275-325 is my target range for smoking but have had good results at 350-400 too.

Back