THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I sometimes go by the smell of wood too on figuring out what kind it is with out a leaf and even my kids can tell the difference when splitting it now . I bet you will remember what Maple smells like and the dampness of the touch after being split , this is a useful tool . :biggrin1:

Well, If this is maple, I'll never forget this smell. At least in this stage. Best way I could describe it is a Sweet cucumber LOL. Pretty interesting smell

when I split Oak my kids say it smells like pickles , lol .

Is maple normally easy or hard to split? how about difference between green and seasoned? This stuff here I can one hand my axe and split it with ease. Got to practice my one handed axe handling skills today!

maple is always easy to split compared to other woods but I use it for firewood and I just do not like it for smoking wood , people do just not me . I wish I liked it because I got acres of maple trees , just wish it was Pecan and Hickory . :wink:

maple is always easy to split compared to other woods but I use it for firewood and I just do not like it for smoking wood , people do just not me . I wish I liked it because I got acres of maple trees , just wish it was Pecan and Hickory . :wink:

I'm going to try it! Can't be that bad! I'll probably throw a stick or two on my next cook just to see how crappy it burns as is LOL

Back