THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ok, flame me if this is out of place, but, I have wondered this about pork butt/pulled pork.

#1 Is it undesirable to be so black on the outside
#2 Is there a way around it
#3 If not, then do you cut off the black part?

Sorry for the dumb question. Have not been successful yet with this cut of meat. I am about to try it again now that I have a reliable UDS.

Ok... seriously... those butts made my mouth water. They look fantastic.

Tazzbot; if you don't like the darker bark, there are a couple of ways to avoid it:
  1. make sure you don't have a lot of sugar in your rub or in any spritz you use. Sugar burns relatively easily and will really blacken up your bark.
  2. foil the butt when it hits the color you're looking for. The foil will keep it from getting any darker, but will allow it to continue cooking to get to the desired tenderness you want.
I'm sure there are other tips, those are just the ones that came to me right off the bat.

Ok, flame me if this is out of place, but, I have wondered this about pork butt/pulled pork.

#1 Is it undesirable to be so black on the outside
#2 Is there a way around it
#3 If not, then do you cut off the black part?

Sorry for the dumb question. Have not been successful yet with this cut of meat. I am about to try it again now that I have a reliable UDS.

No flaming necessary...

#1 No it is not, it is not burnt...it's called bark. And it tastes much better than it looks :wink:
#2 Some like bark, some do not. If you don't like that much bark, you can foil the butt for the last hours of the cook.
#3 See #1

Yeah, I guess I should have read the post above mine. :heh:

Back