I joined the pellet cooking crowd

AClarke44

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Andrew
A few months ago I decided I wanted to make a change. I found I didn’t have the time I needed to enjoy smoking meats like I use too. I wanted something simpler. That led me to started looking into the pellet cookers. My research led me to recteq. After a ton of reading and watching YouTube videos and sending some messages to Sako and Joedy (SweetHeatBBQnSC), I decided to purchase the recteq RT-700. So far I’m really enjoying the simplicity and flavors I’m getting from this cooker. I’ve done some fatties (of course this was the first cook), a rib roast (delicious!) and some Papa Murphy’s pizzas. :mrgreen:
I’m still learning the new cooker but enjoying the process. Below are a few pictures. The cooker, the fatties, abs the rib roast about 30-45 min before it was finished. Sorry I forgot to take pictures of the both cooks when they were finished.

Si0GiQr.jpg

749ambq.jpg

rZPa911.jpg

Congratulations, that's a sweet looking rig you've got there. looks like you're already enjoying the benefits of a pellet grill.

I resisted the pellet cookers for a while too. Like all machines, they have their pros/cons but when they fit into your work/life schedule and let you cook more, how is that a bad thing? Enjoy.

Congrats on the cooker. I'm one that never thought I'd have a pellet cooker, but have enjoyed the heck out of mine since day 1.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welcome to the dark side! I had a USA-made Traeger back in the day, moved to other outdoor cookers, then returned to wood pellets a few days ago. Every approach has its pros and cons, but I must say I'm having a wonderful time right now enjoying the pros of my Outlaw Smoker.

thumbnail_IMG_2028 - Copy.jpg

I resisted the pellet cookers for a while too. Like all machines, they have their pros/cons but when they fit into your work/life schedule and let you cook more, how is that a bad thing? Enjoy.

That’s exactly why I got it. It’s so much less work. I don’t necessarily mind tending to a smoker but I’ve noticed for awhile now I’ve avoided some cooks because I don’t have the time. This cooker stays within 5* of the set temperature and I can monitor it through the app even when I’m not home. I can also start it up from anywhere. I’d never start it or leave it when no one is home but having the ability to monitor it while I’m at the store or something while someone else is home in case something weird happens is a nice capability.

Thanks for all the comments guys!

Andrew, beautiful cooker and looks like you are breaking it in just right. I think there are many awesome cooks ahead in your smokers future!

Andrew, beautiful cooker and looks like you are breaking it in just right. I think there are many awesome cooks ahead in your smokers future!

Thanks Joedy! Also, thanks again for answering all my questions when I was trying to figure out what to buy. I’ve only cooked a few things but so far I’m loving it. There’s a little learning curve, and I found out it doesn’t like to go high (400 or higher) when it’s cold and the wind is blowing 40 mph :biggrin1: but she still got there! The prime rib blew my mind. I was expecting barely any smoke flavor but it was definitely there (lumberjack 100% Hickory). I’m looking forward to ribs, chicken and eventually a brisket.

The oversized pics do it justice.

One gets the full effect of those horns in those pics because ..........they're life sized. 8)

You'll like the Rec Tec.

Lol, yeah I thought I could edit my picture size once I uploaded to Imgur. But apparently you can’t or I haven’t figured out how yet. I guess I could edit the size on my phone first.

Gratz. Loving my Mak 2 star.

PGs are really nice if you have time or no time to cook. I’ve used my Mak PG more than my Shirley or Primo lately and have not felt my cooks have suffered much, if any.

Sadly I think it’s too easy to be lazy. I think sometimes I nail a cook on the Primo or Shirley that is noticeably better than the Mak but not always. Only if I have the time to dedicate to the cook.

Personally I notice a subtle improvement from the hard work on my Shirley or Primo but I’m not sure everyone else does...

Rock on with your PG!

Gratz. Loving my Mak 2 star.

PGs are really nice if you have time or no time to cook. I’ve used my Mak PG more than my Shirley or Primo lately and have not felt my cooks have suffered much, if any.

Sadly I think it’s too easy to be lazy. I think sometimes I nail a cook on the Primo or Shirley that is noticeably better than the Mak but not always. Only if I have the time to dedicate to the cook.

Personally I notice a subtle improvement from the hard work on my Shirley or Primo but I’m not sure everyone else does...

Rock on with your PG!

Thanks Ry! That’s a very good description of how I feel about the pellet cooker too! Very easy, puts out a great product, not sure yet because of my limited cooks so far but I can see where my coal cookers might put out a slightly better product when everything goes well. But like you also pointed out I think I’d be the only one who could tell. Lol

Back