I have 8 pork butts to cook on wsm 's opinions welcomed !!

As you can see, there are different ways and differing opinions. I've done seven 8+lb butts on one of my 22.5" WSMs and I rotated about half way to try and have them all finish reasonably close. In my experience, without rotating, the ones on the bottom rack can take several hours longer. Since you have 15 hours, this might not be a big deal. This can work, but may want to rotate the meat and may have to reload the smoker after ~ 10 hours (again...just my experience).

The other approach mentioned most is doing 4 on each of the 18.5" WSMs. I would tend to lean towards this approach as my 18.5" was more efficient and you most likely won't have to reload during the cook.

Either way (or using just the top rack of all 3), have fun and take some pictures!

C3FAD863-01D5-4F26-86B8-D91151F0C638_zpsoblzbf9a.jpg

Got them ready
4301F1EA-0ED6-404A-8052-93575B9A2DE1_zpsflh1j8tl.jpg

Both rolling with 4 in each vents wide open, half a bucket of lit in each right now rolling 215 but they have only been in 20 mins.

It's so humid here, and inside the cookers I had to pull the fire basket in one cooker a drain the water from the bottom of it. It's 63% humidity I should have paid more attention to that I don't have much water in the pan but it's in there. It's going good though. There's lots of air flow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Every thing was really good, wish I took pictures of them in there. I burnt the hell out of one of the water pans though, next time I think. Will just foil the pans and not deal with the water mess, because I scraped and scraped that carbon off. Every thing was done by 8 am. So I put it all in a cooler and every one enjoyed it. I don't know why I always gravitate to water especially since I usually foil anyway.

Back