I had an idea - pulled smoked beef chuck Carolina Style

I guess that if I'm cooking in Carolina it means that my Chuck is Carolina Style...Cooked to 225* internal
attachment.php

And I like this sauce to compliment it...

Black Jack BBQ Sauce:
2 cups chopped sweet onion, 2 cups strong coffee, 1 cup catsup,
1 cup worcestershire, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar,
1/4 cup Texas Pete, 3 Tbls. chili powder, 6 cloves garlic minced,
2 tsp. salt
Combine in sauce pan, bring to simmer, simmer 1/2 hour....
attachment.php

man that looks good and that sauce sounds like it was made for pulled beef. where did you come up with the sauce recipe - it is yours? I'm going steal it - o.k.

you really need whole chuck that weighs 20-25 lbs. Chuck roasts in the store are from the middle of the chuck and then rest is sued for ground. You need the extra fat. Cut it into 5 or 6 pieces and put in a large foil steam pan. Cover in rub and cook until at least 205 as Bubba says. Pull it and add back in the juice in the steam pan - yes all of it. Let sit for 30 minutes. Now you can taste it and ad sauce as needed. Most yankees want sauce. I really like it with just lots of good rub.
We discovered just how tough you Michigan boys were about 150 years ago.:eek:

Smoke that chuck to 165. While it's smoking, chop a nice big onion into thick slices,and chop a green pepper into a cast iron pot or dutch oven with a bit of beef broth. Heat that up on the stove until it's hot (no need to boil).

Once the chuck reaches 165, put it in the dutch oven on the smoker, loosely put the lid on the DO, and cook until it hits 200 or so.

When it's done, remove the chuck and pull it. Now use the pulled chuck to make sammies using the green peppers and onions, and pour a bit of the juices over the sammie. !

Mark

n8man, thanks! I was looking for something else to smoke with a turkey here in
a few days... Think I'll grab a chuck roast and fire it up (ala. yours). Again, THANKS.
Wow, that looks REALLY good!!!!!

And I like this sauce to complement it...

Black Jack BBQ Sauce:
2 cups chopped sweet onion, 2 cups strong coffee, 1 cup catsup,
1 cup worcestershire, 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup cider vinegar,
1/4 cup Texas Pete, 3 Tbls. chili powder, 6 cloves garlic minced,
2 tsp. salt
Combine in sauce pan, bring to simmer, simmer 1/2 hour....

I love to smoke chuck until it's pullable. For me that usually means at the very least 205F, maybe 210F. Thanks for posting this! I love when guys post actual recipes, made from ingredients available at the grocery store. Just one thing, though. What is Texas Pete?

seattlepitboss

What is Texas Pete?seattlepitboss

Texas Pete is a Locally made,(Winston Salem, NC), Red Pepper Sauce.
You can substitute Frank's Red Hot for it, if you can't find Texas Pete.
But don't try to substitute it with Tabasco Sauce, that's a totally different Flavor Profile.

Oh - I found the original Black Jack recipe:

Black Jack BBQ Sauce

1 cup strong black coffee
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs chili powder
2 tsp salt
2 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup minced hot chili peppers
6 cloves garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer 25 minutes. Strain or puree in a blender or food processor. Refrigerate between uses.

seattlepitboss

Oh - I found the original Black Jack recipe:

Black Jack BBQ Sauce

1 cup strong black coffee
1 cup Worcestershire sauce
1 cup ketchup
1/2 cup cider vinegar
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 Tbs chili powder
2 tsp salt
2 cups chopped onions
1/4 cup minced hot chili peppers
6 cloves garlic, minced

Combine all ingredients in a saucepan and simmer 25 minutes. Strain or puree in a blender or food processor. Refrigerate between uses.

seattlepitboss

That's the One!!!!
I substitute the Hot Sauce for the minced peppers when I make it and I add an extra cup of coffee to make it a little more robust.

Got this off another forum and really liked it

4lb - Chuck Roast
2 - Big Bell Peppers sliced
1 - Big Red Onion sliced
3 - Big Jalapenos Sliced seed and all
6 - Garlic Cloves mince
1/4 - cup Worcestershire Sauce
1 - 12oz Bottle Guinness Extra Stout
Kosher Salt and Black Pepper

Heavily season Chuck roast with salt and pepper and cook on a grill or smoker indirect in the 245º-260º range. You can add smoke wood if you prefer, I did not. Cook until the internal temperature reaches 165º.

While the roast is cooking, add the remaining ingredients in 13 x 9 or similar aluminum pan or oven safe pan.

Once the roast hits 165º, place into pan directly on top of vegetable mixture and cover tightly with foil. Cook roast in smoker or oven at 350º for 2.5-3hrs or until roast is fork tender. Once meat is tender, shred all of the meat in the liquid and mix thoroughly and continue to cook until the liquid reduces by half.

Serve meat on hard rolls with your choice of cheese. We used pepper jack on some and gorgonzola on some and liked both, but provolone, swiss, etc., would work perfectly fine. Horseradish would be another good condiment.

Back