THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've found that hot and fast gives me a smaller window for proper doneness between under and over cooked compared to low and slow. I still prefer to cook at or above 275 degrees though.

Is it better to cook a brisket in a drum hot and fast as opposed to low and slow?
I like to cook mine hot and fast (300-325) but I don't thinks it better than 225-250 it's just my preference, briskets are usually done in 6-7hrs. The important thing is pulling it when the thickest part of the flat is probe tender.

So I decided to tackle a brisket with my new Hunsaker. Since this was my first brisket with it I wanted to try something different this time that being and overnight cook.

I seasoned it with some Oakridge Black Ops, SPG and a thick coating of black pepper.

I put it on around 2130hrs....let’s see what happens.

View attachment 159027
View attachment 159028
View attachment 159029View attachment 159030
View attachment 159031
View attachment 159032
do you have a problem with grease coming out of the bottom hole?

do you have a problem with grease coming out of the bottom hole?
You will get grease drippings coming through the bottom of the barrel, also where the front caster is bolted onto the drum and the where the dolly style wheels are mounted as well until they get gunked up. I keep a 18" x 26" baking sheet pan under the drum, it doe a great job of catching all the drippings.

Sniperfx......I cook on the Hunsaker Drum..all I do is place a .99 cookie sheet under the drum to catch any grease. There is normally no to very little drips. But the key to any drum is meat trimming. I trim tight and grind my trimmings for sausage.

Back