Humprey's or Ironside

Thanks for all the replies.

They are very expensive. I keep second guessing myself. One thing I am sure of is the egg is too small. I am going up to Maine to see some in person. These are big units. I am not in competition or a caterer. I cook for my family of 4. Sometimes I would like the space to cook for a party. Probably 2-4 butts and 6-8 racks of ribs and some chicken. These units are overkill for my needs...however for my wants...

They are very expensive. I keep second guessing myself. One thing I am sure of is the egg is too small. I am going up to Maine to see some in person. These are big units. I am not in competition or a caterer. I cook for my family of 4. Sometimes I would like the space to cook for a party. Probably 2-4 butts and 6-8 racks of ribs and some chicken. These units are overkill for my needs...however for my wants...
I can definitely understand that! The good thing about buying an insulated cabinet that's too big is that the fuel use is minimal once up to temp.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Can't speak to humphries as I've never cooked on one. I own a slugger and it's exceptional - taste of stick burner and can load with charcoal and set/forget. I've done many an overnight brisket cook starting w sticks and then charcoal for some shut eye. Love the cooker.

Should have mentioned Pete at Ironsides is a stand up guy. Communicates early and often. Has followed up post purchase a few times to ask if I had questions or additional feedback.

I think the trip to see them will be well worth it no matter what you decide. I am always jealous when I see people posting getting to pick them up in person. Good luck with a tough decision!

I own a Qued pint and love it! I am also only 2.5 hours away from them. Cant beat the customer service Nicole and Chad give you!!

I'm biased, as Humphrey's is only 1 1/2 hours away, so "shipping" is just the cost of gas. If I ever get the green light on a 3rd smoker, it'll be a Weekender or Long Weekender.

I'm biased, as Humphrey's is only 1 1/2 hours away, so "shipping" is just the cost of gas. If I ever get the green light on a 3rd smoker, it'll be a Weekender or Long Weekender.

I agree. I am close to them as well and that is making my decision very hard.

You do have to pay Maine sales tax which will be 5.5%. Probably half what shipping from Texas or Wisconsin would cost.

I agree. I am close to them as well and that is making my decision very hard.

You do have to pay Maine sales tax which will be 5.5%. Probably half what shipping from Texas or Wisconsin would cost.

I'm 30 min from Ironside fellas. Met them both and they gave me a tour of the CDR. I'll pick up a Slugger in 2019 or 2020. I'd go smaller if they come out with one. Time will tell. Solid units, solid people. I've talked to Humphrey's too and would say the same there. Just like the Ironside designs better.

Thank you for all your advice. I stopped by Humphrey's today. I met Chad and Nichole both were really great and answered all my dumb questions. I was really surprised how big these things are. Some are the size of a refrigerator. Way more than I would need. I put a deposit down on a Cubed Box with stainless doors and stainless interior. It's a commercial quality smoker with Plenty of room for what I need plus enough extra space to cook for a big party when the occasion arises.

The Ironside seems amazing. Customer service is outstanding. If they were an hour away I would still be agonizing over making a decision.

I have the Weekender, and I love it. I may have gone with the long Weekender if it had been available when I purchased, but it came out shortly after. There is that rare occasion when I wish I had more capacity, but I mostly overcame that by buying another grate from Humphrey's. The stainless grates are simple to clean, especially if you wipe them down while they are still warm. If I wait until the next day, a little dish soap on a stripping pad does the trick.

I run it with a Flame Boss, and it stays within a few degrees of set temp for hours on end. I've heard they do great without controllers, but I already had the Flame Boss (originally bought to use on my WSM) when I got the Humphrey's. I'll be cooking a turkey for our church's Thanksgiving carry in this weekend. First cook in a while, since I have been sick for a month and the weather here hasn't been that great.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your cabinet as much as I enjoy mine.

I have the Weekender, and I love it. I may have gone with the long Weekender if it had been available when I purchased, but it came out shortly after. There is that rare occasion when I wish I had more capacity, but I mostly overcame that by buying another grate from Humphrey's. The stainless grates are simple to clean, especially if you wipe them down while they are still warm. If I wait until the next day, a little dish soap on a stripping pad does the trick.

I run it with a Flame Boss, and it stays within a few degrees of set temp for hours on end. I've heard they do great without controllers, but I already had the Flame Boss (originally bought to use on my WSM) when I got the Humphrey's. I'll be cooking a turkey for our church's Thanksgiving carry in this weekend. First cook in a while, since I have been sick for a month and the weather here hasn't been that great.

I'm sure you'll enjoy your cabinet as much as I enjoy mine.

Thanks man good luck with the turkey!

Back