Humphrey's battle box issues.

I was thinking about a Humphreys but mine will be sitting outside 365 with the intention of being used any time any weather. Now I'm beginning to doubt my self.

Until something comes of this, I'd probably hold off too. They will either make it right or double down. For me.. .at this point... neither bodes well as one shows it took "all this" to prod them to do something to rectify the situation and other would show further disdain. They sorda painted themselves into a corner (no pun intended) and may have damaged their reputation at this point with some people here.

It's kinda sad all the way around. There are a lot of quality builders vying for your business.

Until something comes of this, I'd probably hold off too. They will either make it right or double down. For me.. .at this point... neither bodes well as one shows it took "all this" to prod them to do something to rectify the situation and other would show further disdain. They sorda painted themselves into a corner (no pun intended) and may have damaged their reputation at this point with some people here.

It's kinda sad all the way around. There are a lot of quality builders vying for your business.

Couldn't agree more, again.

Smoke stack has alittle rust and flaking paint. Front completely flaked off last night. Here's a pick of the back side, haven't hit it with a wire wheel yet.

A18C66C0-CE6F-4877-AC3C-3CB6854E2C30.jpg

Louis and Ron from St. Louis BBQ contacted me. Great people to buy from FYI. But don't believe there's much they can do to help.

But i didn't contact Chad or Nichole this go round so I'm not aware if they even know. I was just trying to find out from other owners if they were having the same issues or if this was isolated.

From what I'm hearing the issues I'm having are not common so that's a good thing for most. I must have got the one that was prepped and powder coated on a Friday at 4:30..haha

Yikes...

Don't take this the wrong way...I'm not taking sides...Just an observation...

From your pictures it looks like your pit had a grease fire...I read that this never happened, but I can see why Humphreys may be hesitant...You have some major not minor paint issues...

Good luck...It sounds as though you are moving forward with or without their help...That's what I would do too...

Keep putting out great Q on your Humphrey's 2.0...

Happy smokin'...

I agree it is major and I can assure you there was no fire. Just cooked for my company's celebration last week that's what got me started building a cart. To be honest I'm not sure how you could even have a grease fire in these. Thi has the slide out pan so the fire box is sealed from the cook chamber. And the grease falls into the water pan also.

Hi JFine,
I don't come on this forum very often but it was brought to my attention that this thread had grown in size so I wanted to come on here and check into it also. First I apologize with any issue that you have had with your cooker and we like to thank all of our users that have purchased units directly from us or one of our dealers. We try to build a great cooker at a price that is still affordable and by no means are our cookers over priced for what we produce. We have a few strict rules here with everyone that works for us, 1. try to build the best product for a competitive price and 2. Don't talk bad about any other cookers on the market. We stand by both of those everyday, whether it be myself or one of our fabricators out on the bbq circuit. We also require this of our dealers too. I have seen everything from our pricing, gauge of material used, and finishing process discussed here in this thread (or another recent thread). We believe that we build a quality product for the price, and that our gauge of materials is sufficient as we haven't had any complaints about fireboxes warping or rotting out and also we haven't heard from any of our customers with issues pertaining to rot or rust beyond surface finish.

I didn't know which cooker this was until recently as we didn't directly sell it to you and we don't have registration card on it so it took a little work to figure out exactly who it was. Once I worked with your dealer to figure out the name I was able to track down your email to us and went back over the response by our staff member. The email we received just stated when you bought it, some light chit chatter about a mutual friend and it was asked how to take care of it on a cooker that was purchased over a year before. I read the response that was sent and it just stated a little bit on metal prep and what to use to recoat it and if you needed any further questions answered to contact us anytime, and we never heard anything back. At that time we figured it was sanded down and recoated and everything was all set. If any of our owners have questions or prepurchase questions I have always been there to answer them and I get back to people as fast as I can. We also require the same of our dealer network, get customers questions answered in a timely fashion and be educated about our product line and they are all pretty good about answering any questions.

We are always striving to increase the quality of our cookers and consult with several owners and users before making revision changes to our units. We have put together a team of people both in house, vendors, and manufacturing advisers to see what we can do to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Thank you,
Chad Humphrey

I love the cooker, have stated that many times. I believe they are a bargain, and are well built. Just appears mine may have issues.

I have yet to find one person who has said anything negative about their product, which make me think this could be an isolated issue. I am sorry that you are having to deal with this, but I am looking forward to receiving my Pint in the upcoming weeks. Hopefully this cooker can withstand the cold, dark and rainy weather in Alaska. Good luck.

I have no doubt you will like it. Good choice on going with the pint, my one regret is not saving for a bigger model. I too have never read a bad thing about them. Nothing but glowing reviews, one of the reasons I bought one without ever seeing one. By the comments and messages I've received the majority of the flaking and rusting issues I have are not common. i just drew the short straw.

I don't know... That response didn't really address the issues nor why your initial call was handled so poorly. I didn't see an apology, didn't see any extension of help, nor a reason despite two paragraphs talking about the build quality of why yours wasn't up to snuff. Even a simple "hey it looks like there could've been issues with yours...let's figure out what went wrong" kinda vibe would have made me feel better.

You're a better man then me for being so understanding. No one has ever said they make a bad product here...just that this one looks like one that did. It happens of course to the best I presume but still don't see this as being dealt with very well.

Good luck fixing you box. I hope at some point you get it back to its original handsome self.

I don't know... That response didn't really address the issues nor why your initial call was handled so poorly. I didn't see an apology, didn't see any extension of help, nor a reason despite two paragraphs talking about the build quality of why yours wasn't up to snuff. Even a simple "hey it looks like there could've been issues with yours...let's figure out what went wrong" kinda vibe would have made me feel better.

You're a better man then me for being so understanding. No one has ever said they make a bad product here...just that this one looks like one that did. It happens of course to the best I presume but still don't see this as being dealt with very well.

Good luck fixing you box. I hope at some point you get it back to its original handsome self.
I agree! I feel like I dodged a bullet after considering them as my next smoker. Not the quality but..... the response is...well.... lacking. That was some carefully worded lonnnnng paragraphs. All i read out of it was that they are affordable and great quality most of the time. Big woop.

Maybe offer to send the op a 9 dollar can of paint would have been better?

I also felt the same way.did not offer any help what so ever.my next purchase was going to be an insulated cabinet and humphreys was at the top of the list. Sure would have liked to have seen better customer service.

Customer service and engagement is more important than ever in today's world. Smart businesses understand that while demand for products or services may drop, the demand for customer service never does - and it's these companies that are likely to fare better than their competitors.
Over 2300 hits in this thread...

Honest story here, this week I came into a bit of money that was unexpected. Not a lot but enough to where I could buy a new cooker without any issues. Since this was unexpected and due to some medical things going on the next couple of weeks AND being in NW Iowa, so weather could hit at any time(tornadoes in area last night) Myself and my wife were going to seriously going to look into a new cooker this weekend. We even planned on traveling several hours just to see, and yes to get away for a day. I had made a list of cookers I was interested in and yes Humphreys was in top 2. I am glad I read this posting and any responses given. Made me reconsider a trip south this weekend. Am I saying I would not buy a Humphrey's? No I am not saying that at all, but I know I have a WSM for over 10 years that has been at all sorts of temps and I have no paint issues. So yes it is a bit concerning on a cooker that costs as much as a Humphrey's or others that paint is an issue. But more concerning to me is at that much cost there is not a warranty and in all honest a $20 can of spray paint might have given a lot of good will but was not even considered by manufacturer. In other words the impression I get from what I read was once you make your purchase the manufacturer is done with you, not the dealers just manufacturer. Like I said I am still considering but was turned off just enough that I decided i might want to re-evaluate before making a major purchase. There are many choices out there and I want to make the one that is right for me and I think I need to educate myself in everything involving a cooker before I make that decision.

Back