THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hmmm...perhaps Roy could find room for all of us in his back yard...we can us blue tarps from Home Depot...I'll text him real quick to see...lol!

Hmmm...perhaps Roy could find room for all of us in his back yard...we can us blue tarps from Home Depot...I'll text him real quick to see...lol!

Come on over!! All are welcome! YOU all can cook for me!! LOL! Rob thanks for the great post. That wood is Strawberry Guavas, its a invasive species.a mild smoke,good with all
Meats.
That stand is in "Anahola" It was great to meet your family, Tessa
is a cutie!! It was neat how Tessa "took" to Joshua in that short time.

Come on over!! All are welcome! YOU all can cook for me!! LOL! Rob thanks for the great post. That wood is Strawberry Guavas, its a invasive species.a mild smoke,good with all
Meats.
That stand is in "Anahola" It was great to meet your family, Tessa
is a cutie!! It was neat how Tessa "took" to Joshua in that short time.

I ain't cookin'...I'll be on vacation! :becky: I'll bring the briskets with me though...:thumb: You'll need to lay in a good supply of the local brews too! :cool: Just kidding bro...I'm sure if we can get a bunch of Brethren over to the island it will be a blast! I've always wanted to play the golf course over there...Princeville is it?

Last edited:
Meats.
That stand is in "Anahola"

Roy, you told me you liked smoking with the Strawberry Guava and it is great that I was able to try it out. It does really impart a nice light sweet smoke flavor like other fruitwoods but it is definitely distinctive.

Have you ever tried that stand? Where does the flavor land on the spectrum of Hawaain huli huli? I'm going to get some recipe ideas from some of the old posts like the one from Saiko and give this a try. Any tips Roy?

Count me in for a Kauai bash any year.

sad to read about the crackdown. used to look forwards to saturdays and sundays when we could drive around and buy some hulu huli and then go to the beach and have a great day. far as i know the old way used kiawi wood. but i have a hunch they also used whatever was handy.

Thanks so much for posting this - I really enjoyed your description and pics of everything!

Usually the recipes for Huli-Huli have catsup in them - do you know if he used it or not?

Wow! Great post. Really made me homesick for the islands. We lived on Oahu for 15 years and both my wife and I's hearts are still there. Huli-huli chicken is a staple on Oahu as it is a favorite for school fund raisers. By the way, there is excellent low and slow smoked BBQ on Oahu. Check out Molly's in Wahiawa. She has one of the biggest smokers I've seen out front of her place putting out the ono grinds (delicious food). Gotta book a trip back soon. Thanks much for sharing.
Randy

Looks great! There's an awesome huli huli setup in Waimanalo on Oahu. Will have to take some photos and share them.
Keale - I'll be on your island in August 2013 for the HCRA state race in Hanalei. Maybe see you then!
Aloha

Back