THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I would like to say i had a great time hanging out with sean and all of the muzzle brake crew!! our neighbors double j were awesome along with the red planet boys!! had a few long talks with my new boy butch which was a pleasure to meet and also got myself some fried pickles!!! everyone seemed to have a great time and the site was great!! i like the setu p and the amount of space!! congrats to the brethren!

thanks Eric..
unfortunately I think it took the wind out of our sails so bad that we just wanted the whole thing to be over...

We don't see 2 very often and to not even get to walk was a little disappointing. So yes, you can be RGC and get $20 and two tiny plastic trophies...

Congrats to Chris and Phil and all that did well in BBQ...hope to see everyone in Westport but glad its not next weekend!!
nancee

Congrats to Chris and Phil et al !!!

Special thanks to Nancee who called me and told me I came in second... I said that can't be I was not there... yes you were she said... your recipes dude! Congrats to Purple Turtle on grilling...!!!! Thanks for your understanding during the toughest time in my life!!!

Thanks Nancee for making me feel better for missing a comp that was our first and I had not missed....

Hope to see all in Westport also.... once again as Primal Meat Smokers....!!!

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Ted, what is the new invention that the ladies are displaying?

I was just about to forget about the whole Going Green, and no Score sheets, until Rolf Just posted on the YahooUserGroup, that it would have cost them an extra $50 a team to rent a copier?? $2650.00
Come on, I just priced copiers last week and that number is just crazy!
Did they think if they said they were "going green" nobody would say anything and the real reason was they just didn't have the right equipment to get the score sheets to us.

2650 to rent a copier, chit I'm in the wrong business. I would have rented them mine for half price and made the copies, chit I would have donated the paper too and still made a thousand net.

My response to Rolf:

Rolf,
Thanks again for another great event!
Here's my 2 cents:
Delay the awards. 4:00 or 4:30 would have been fine. As long as you start exactly at that time, everyone should be happy. Starting after the announced time is frustrating as we could be packing up instead of waiting for the awards to start. The changed times of the cooks meetings and the awards were not appreciated and led to confusion.
As for the printing costs, every other event I have competed in prints the results and are done on time. If you think about it, teams are paying a couple of hundred dollars in entry fees and they expect a "simple" thing like a few pages of printouts not to be a problem. How do other events do it? To suggest that the teams would have to pay an extra $50 is a bit shocking ($2,700.00 to rent a copier/printer for 2 days and 500 sheets of cheap paper?)
You could buy a 23ppm printer/copier for $400, toner for $180 and $20.00 worth of paper for a total of ~$650. It would take about 30-45 minutes to print the sheets.
As for the collating and stapling, you have a number of volunteers and it's only 54 packets. Most printers can collate so all you have to do is separate by team and staple.
I would look into a printouts sponsor! Have their logo/website/phone number (pre?)printed on each sheet! Bottom or the whole back of the sheet. Have them supply the printer/copier and the pre-printed paper, too! I would suggest a local merchant that would benefit from the departing teams on Sunday: "Stop in for a [free/discounted/2-fer] item on the way home!!" Just an idea to consider. If a merchant, they need to have a large parking lot to accomodate the trailers, etc.
See you next year!

Reply from Rolf! I like these guys...

Greg,

Thanks for your comments and suggestions!
Your point is well taken. I will make sure we have a solution for next year to
have the tally sheets available after the awards ceremony. I like the idea with
the printing sponsor (...why didn't I think of that!) I will also review the
timing for the awards with the RibFest committee to make sure we will have
everything ready in time.

Kind regards,
Rolf Oelgeschlager

Back