Howdy from Gilbert AZ!

sawhorseray

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Ray
Howdy folks, I'm Sawhorseray. I've been making my own sausage for about 20 years and smoking it, maple-honey and Canadian bacon, and wild hog hams for about the last fifteen years on a PS Seasons P100 electric smoker, had a Weber 22 since 1977. Three weeks ago my wife and I moved from Elk Grove, CA to Gilbert, she's got a lot of family here. My reward for leaving the State of Confusion arrived at my house four days ago, a Meadow Creek SQ36 offset BBQ smoker. While I've always done all the cooking in our house it's become to clear to me that I'd best be prepared for a whole new set of culinary challenges. Aside from cooking my other interests are hog hunting, fishing, and playing around with my 18 month-old English Springer Spaniel, Bob. I was a union carpenter for 34 years and have now been retired for almost 13 years, I'll be 68 in October. I guess it's time for me to start perusing the forum, maybe watch a little more YouTube about controlling the heat on a offset. Glad to be here! RAY

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona. Ray where do you hog hunt?

Welcome to the forum from sunny SE Arizona. Ray where do you hog hunt?

My partner and I used to lease a 2200 acre ranch in the hill outside of Coalinga. I whacked about sixty hogs there over the 15 years we hunted the place, got a lot of nice bucks and wild turkey there also. I got rid of my jeep and CA is too far to go for a pig anyway, so in the wintertime I'm going to give this place a shot.

http://blueroosterhuntingranch.com/hunts/

I'll take out the backstrap and smoke the hams, everything else will go to grind for sausage. I'd post some pics but I haven't had much use for Photobucket for quite some time now, they became kind of tough to use for me. RAY

Wow Blue Rooster Hunting Ranch is rather pricey. FYI... A days drive you can be in central Texas and for approximately $500 to $700 get a 3 day hunt unlimited hogs including room and board.

I have a Lance 850 cabover camper that keeps me pretty darned comfortable wherever I go. For hog hunting I carry two 165 qt Igloo coolers, one filled with one gallon jugs of water from spent OJ, Minute Maid is my favorite. I like sows, I truly believe they make far better tableware than the boars. I've been known to whack a sow when a guide was telling me to shoot a boar hog a few feet away. What's he going to do, flush his $100 tip down the toilet because I killed the pig I wanted in the first place? Uh, no. I like to gut and skin them myself, halve the hog with a meat saw, toss into a 165 qt cooler, and surround it with the frozen gallon jugs of water. I've kept a pig for four days in 100º heat using this method many times, no stink, no problems. Like I said, I take the hams and backstrap, everything else I debone in my driveway when I get home. I make Italian sausage with PS Seasonings 260 sausage blend, a bottle of cabernet sauvignon, and a knob of garlic, minced. It's always a blend of 60% wild pig meat and 40% domestic porkbutt, friends and family have raved about it for years. I'm too old these days to want to process more than one pig at a time. RAY

Welcome to the forum from Victoria, Aust.
Nice friendly bunch here that are very sharing with information.
Enjoy your time here, I sure have

Back