How to Que on a BGE?

So am I right in saying that the plate setter is a round ceramic thin circle that difuses the heat? If that is the case I think I can use a ceramic 13 x 13 floor tile and it could work the same. We use the same floor tile in our BWS Chubby for a pizza stone and it workd GREAT. I can probably use it for pizza also on the BGE. 13 x 13 ceramic foor tiles at lowes on clearance $0.88 each.
Similar but company is not the same http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=244393-61-CST031313&lpage=none

Anything goes

Just about any noncombustible, inert material will work if you don't have a platesetter. I've done a number of cooks with various objects, including nothing more than a triple layer of aluminum foil folded up into a makeshift circular drip pan sitting directly on the coals allowing approximately a one inch gap to allow smoke and convection to occur. That said, the platesetter is great and makes high temp indirect cooking much easier. you can get away without it for low and slow.

Also, as you go along with this, I'd consider slapping a Pitminder or a Stoker on your Egg. You can take what is a pretty stable cooking environment on a manual basis and make it more accurate than your oven in your house. Makes life really easy from a sleep standpoint, especially in terms of competition. Great to run three eggs and not have to fuss with them.

Matt

155 South

I'll suggest that if you're a guy that wants to reinvent stuff get the tile, bricks etc but you'll also need an extra grate and a way to raise it above the bricks for airflow. If you're a guy that would rather just buy the right part and get cooking, get a platesetter.

I'd also suggest getting a little more familiar with your egg before cooking an overnighter. The eggs work great but it's not automatic. Cook a chicken or some pork chops and get used to how it works.

I actually decided to not do an overnighter, I started it this morning at 6:30. Do it throught the day where I can Learn the Cooker, and keep an eye on things through out the day. So far so good. The bricks and tile are working Eggselent and Yes Dr. BBQ I did get an eegstra rack for the meat to be raised up for the airflow. Things are going smoothly now will keep posted through out the day. And maybe some actual pron if I can get a cable for my camera.:wink:

Learning how to do a lasting burn on the Egg, started it at 7am and just now 2 pm I had to look at the fire and redistribute the coals a little.
I am probably doing this wrong, but it is like learning how to cook all over again.:wink:

Back