THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Yep, add a little salt to the rub and stick it on there right out of the fridge. I always try and do my injections the night before. I get the pit up to temp and slap the brisket on there with the smoke going well. Has worked pretty well for us.

383949_2683520171280_1354630820_33082866_267200193_n.jpg

317176_2419628174145_1354630820_32894150_1705925948_n.jpg

419095_3401262994402_1354630820_33392616_2038070980_n.jpg

400989_3404295310208_1354630820_33393866_2144032150_n.jpg

Low cooking temp to start and taking the meat from the fridge straight to the cooker. In combo, these techniques produce a great smoke ring.

Having said that tho, smoke rings IMO are over-rated by most. It's the taste of the meat on the palate that satisfies, not some visual of a smoke ring.

Ive never understood the "more smoke ring". I run my wsm with some blue K and some chunks of whatever I can get my hands on with an IQue110. I let my meat sit out while prepping. I even wait till my fire evens out and smoke is minimal. Yet if I dont foil I end up with this:

IMG_0245.jpg

Those ribs aren't "enhanced" are they? THe only time I've ever gotten ribs to come out like that, they were enhanced ones I bought by mistake.

To the OP...just a quick story. Tonight, I cooked some ribs that I marinaded in a mustard based sauce I use from time to time. I used a rub that I would consider a high salt comp rub. I put the ribs on my Weber using Stubb's natural briquettes and a chunk of maple and peach for smoke. I put the ribs on at the 225* cooker temp mark, but I ran the Weber up to 300* and kept it there as I was pressed for time. I foiled the ribs at an hour and a half for 45 minutes and took them back out for 30 minutes or so. They were small spare ribs that I got from a connection that was trying a new cut of ribs that Smithfield was field testing. They were also on the thin side for the thinckness of the meat. Just offering that up to explain my cook times. They passed the bend test and had plenty of pull back, so I knew they were done to the point of every other rib I cook.

Suffice it to say...the smoke ring SUCKED!!! So did the ribs...but like I said...I tried a few things I was curious about because they were free, and comp season is starting to ramp up here.

My point is, I think that the marinade and higher cook temps killed the smoke ring formation. From this point on, those 2 things will change and I'm only cooking on my comp rig after I bring it back from my shop next week when I finish the changes I'm making to it.

I do Kenny or sometimes luke warm.

Water? There is no need for water pans in BBQ. Leave the gol darn lid closed and let the magic happen.

Yes I'm not joking. Fill the water pan 1/3 full with either play sand or other similar rock product. Once the cooking temps get up there, they will stay there for a very very long time.

Water just forces the cooker to burn more fuel. Adjust intakes to control temps. Water is a crutch on the same level as foil.

Water? There is no need for water pans in BBQ. Leave the gol darn lid closed and let the magic happen.

Yes I'm not joking. Fill the water pan 1/3 full with either play sand or other similar rock product. Once the cooking temps get up there, they will stay there for a very very long time.

Water just forces the cooker to burn more fuel. Adjust intakes to control temps. Water is a crutch on the same level as foil.

depends on size & design. Backwoods,Brink vert box,Spicewine- w/out a catchall & 60 lbs of pork is fire. water is free- sand costs...:blabla:

OK El Ropo,

I'm just a babe in the woods when it comes to outright indoor cookin'. My Mom (RIP) did it then my wife did it. My Wife (aka Pork Puller) has been in Paradise for now on 36 years. She says Paradise is HELL but I went deaf around the frequency of Female speech about 20 years ago.

I don't know how to use a washing machine. But if it breaks, I can fix it :becky:

I'm trying to learn Quality BBQ from the ground up so to speak. The things you Pro's take for granted, I'm trying my best to learn for the first time. Going slow and using the Weber approved water in pan method until I graduate to HH. Heck, I've only had about 25 smokes on this rig so far. The gasser is another thing though.

I know for sure, I'm in the right place to Make It Happen hanging here at this Great site with You and the other Fine Folks here! :-D

Nice Landarc!

No need for TQ, just run smoker for first hour at a lower temp (250ish), then ramp it up to 300-325. Don't forget to keep the meat cold till tossing on the cooker.

This works for brisket, chuckies, ribs, lamb shanks, basically any large piece of unlean meat.

Lean cuts like pork loin, chicken parts, tri tip, any type of sirloin roast require special attention to temps.

It's nice to see someone else who thinks using water isn't needed. When I had my WSM, I tried that water pan a couple times and thought to myself "what a waste of energy!". Ditched it, then I got rid of the WSM - not enough space. Went back to my barrel and have been happy ever since.

I think that it depends on the cooker...some need water in them or you end up with a grease fire...some, just cook better that way. It's kinda like the foil debate.

Back