THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jhwhite

Knows what a fatty is.
Name or Nickame
Jody
I’m going to be smoking two chuck roasts tomorrow and using Holy Cow. I want to dry brine with salt today but I don’t want to over salt.

Should I use salt today and rub tomorrow? Or would that be too much salt? Should I put the Holy Cow on today for the salt in it to act as the dry brine?

I'm not familiar with the Holy Cow rub, but you could absolutely apply the rub 24 hours early as a dry brine.

You could apply a bit more right before the smoke for appearance. Just remember the previous days application so as not to over salt.

I would salt today, then tomorrow rinse off the salt, pat dry then apply the rub.

Make you’re own salt free rubs. I either do that or use the rub to brine. More often the former for me and I use store rubs more when I make last minute decisions.

I'm not familiar with the Holy Cow rub, but you could absolutely apply the rub 24 hours early as a dry brine.

You could apply a bit more right before the smoke for appearance. Just remember the previous days application so as not to over salt.

This is what I’ll often do…there’s enough salt in the rubs I use for this method to get a dry brine effect from them.

Back