How to calculate quantities for sides

wrenfro12

Full Fledged Farker
I volunteered to cook for a church group and I am comfortable with the quantity I need to cook for meat as that is all I normally do. This time I am providing sides as well. I am cooking beans, creamed corn and slaw.

How do you calculate the quantity needed for 60 people?

Four ounce servings? That would be 7.5 quarts, call it 2 gallons? Plus extra for insurance against running out...

It will be buffet style....so they will take what they want
The age group is 50+.... It is for my parents group ( my parents are 70 ish )

I'd do 3 half pans of beans and corn and a full pan of slaw. With my church group the slaw is a hit and miss item. Sometimes they want it, sometimes not. The age group your cooking for is less likely to overdo it. Especially the ladies. :wink:

well this turned out to be a bust..... The event was going to be held at a pavilion in a park run by the park service. YUP the government is closed for business so the event was put on hold. Has this happened to anyone else?

4 oz. per side per person. Buffet or not this number works (unless your bbq sux) ;)

well this turned out to be a bust..... The event was going to be held at a pavilion in a park run by the park service. YUP the government is closed for business so the event was put on hold. Has this happened to anyone else?

No, because I refuse to be a patron to any Government agency. :grin:

Back