THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have had both barbacoa pork and goat and kalua pork and goat, odd, I would think that any goats or pigs in Hawaii or Mexico should get real nervous once a hole is being dug. Anyway, they are not smoky as others have said. They are actually a steam cooking process. I really do like them.

Now, if what I was going to do was design an in-ground pit, let's say a client hired to me to do so (hey, it has happened) here is what I would do.

1. dig a hole about 36" in diameter and 18" deep. Wider than deep is better.

2. Build a containment of slate, bricks or even concrete formed in, leave bottom open.

3. Put 6" depth of coarse drain rock or other stone or broken brick to create a bottom that is well ventilated. Lava rock works well too.

4. Use concrete block or brick to build up walls up to about 12" above grade, then place rack. IF you want a lid, then you need to adjust measurements to what ever lid you want. Note, if you have a 22" lid, then dig a 22" pit, 12 to 18" deep.

5. Fire built in middle will burn by pulling cooker air into,through and then up out of rocks until rocks heat up. Then the burn will stabilize and you will get smoke.

6. This technique of building a fire pit is very common amongst the coastal Native American tribes for smoking salmon in fish camps, except they use an open pit in a smoking house or shed.

Back