THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I saw one contest use Hooters' waitresses in the carts delivering ice. As I understand it they made pretty good tips and drank free all Friday night...

Hance,

Genius, pure genius! :-D
I know my ice consumption would go WAY UP, even if I had to pour it on the ground. :-D
$20 a bag--No Problemo. :-D

Gotta pass that on to the FBA REP's.

TIM

I agree with most of what others have said here.20x20 is standard in our area as well. We have a 12' pop up camper that extends to about 20', so I like to have a 20x30 space if at all possible so I can keep my truck nearby.

Most of the comps we've done (20 in all so far...god are we newbies!) there are usually enough outhouses, but sometimes they aren't dumped frequently enougn.

There is usually, but not always, accessible water. The better ones stretch what they call hose trees all around so you can usually be within 50' of one. They often suggest you bring along a splitter to help share. Mine was stolen at the last comp!

Power is usually 20Amp, if they have it, occaisionally 30. We bring a generator as it's much more reliable.

Ice, for sale at a reasonable price, in my opinion, is nescessary, especially where once set up you aren't allowed to leave

Real bathrooms, sinks, and showers are a luxury that we've seen available at some, but not many comps, but they sure are appriciated where they're available. We keep a coleman instant water heater which has doubled as a shower on occaision, you can pick up a pop-up shower/bath enclosure at Bass pro or other sporting good stores for not too much dough.

Most comps don't seem too concerned with grey water around here, actual RV dumps are another story.

I always welcome easily accessible ash barrels. If they are not closeby, I'll usually dump my ashes into a disposable full foil pan full of water, as I don't want to be carrying a bowl full of hot coals further than 10 or twenty yards. Grease disposal is far too rare at the comps around here, at least in my opinion.

coffee and donuts, or some sort of breakfast is also a huge plus, but not always available.

Finally, as to the prize pools, I just think that a fair share of our entry fees be used for prizes, and not all as profit for the organizers. Usually, we decide before going if the prize money offered is worth the trip to us.

KAPN -
Lots of good comments, thanks! I will jump in, however, and note that as an active member of the PNWBA (Competing this weekend at a really cool winery in eastern Washington to benefit Operation BBQ) I am aiming not necessarily to 'FIX' our process but rather to forecast, plan and adjust toward the future via the strat planning committee. So, I REALLY REALLY REALLY do appreciate ALL of y'all's comments.
Keep 'em coming, guys. I'll bet this is not only helpful to me but others, as well. You guys are a wealth of information and considered opinions.
All valuable. The Bretheren Rock!

Yes JD, we'll see you tomorrow at the winery and just so you know, I do better WHEN I cook and drink than when I just cook and by the way I HATE CHICKEN!!! (Inside joke)

es JD, we'll see you tomorrow at the winery and just so you know, I do better WHEN I cook and drink than when I just cook and by the way I HATE CHICKEN!!! (Inside joke)

Lol! After that 3rd place call in Langley I thought you'd be lovin' chicken...

Usually 20x20.

We have a generator, so would prefer to see it not included in the cost. If a team needs it, we would prefer the promoter charge an additional fee to those teams so it is not on our back.
I am speaking for our event in that electricity is provided and built into our budget which I guess can be said it is spread in there someplace with the fee's but to offer it for extra would be silly to me. As an organizer I would not want 42 teams in the event running generators with all the noise cause lets face it - not everyone has a soft purring honda. Someone will have a noisy harbor freight generator and likely it will beside someone with a baby and a tent. Just sayin'. It's not worth saving $5 or $10 on your comp fee.

We are a 2nd year event and we have some things to change but all in all we had a pretty solid first year. We took notes at all the events we traveled to the 2 years before about what worked and what didnt. We also know that making the teams happy, makes everyone happy. We don't want to overwork teams with a full schedule of things like cooking events and we know that our event is a great location to want to see so we try to schedule our day accordingly.

Also I didn't mention it but all the competitors at our event get the same benefits as the VIP visitors like special seats at the bands, beer and wine tasting (free), kids area tickets, a non-sanctioned grilling event entry is included in the event fee, and I am personally the "mayor of BBQ town" and I walk around and make sure everyone is happy - and there is anything you need it gets done.

We especially take care of our returning teams by offering discounts because we see it as a reciprocation of taking care of each other. Our prize pools are reflecting on how many teams we get. We are maxing at 42 teams but are required to be 25 for the state championship. We are also sanctioned by KCBS.

Maybe one of you guys will like to check us out? lol. I'm not so much advertising the comp (brethren event btw) but I am hoping to create the model of what PA events should be.

20x20 minumum space (or I ain't cookin')...if I can't put my comp trailer on my spot...I ain't cookin'. If you want us to sample for a charity event...give us meat or re-imburse us for the cost of ours.

Organization and communication is paramount...if it's a load-in...load-out cluster f... I won't be back! We need to know EVERYTHING about the comp ahead of time...

This!

and

Don't say I can do one thing and then when I get all my stuff there that I can't! Then tell other teams they can a few hours later.

As an organizer I would not want 42 teams in the event running generators with all the noise cause lets face it - not everyone has a soft purring honda. Someone will have a noisy harbor freight generator and likely it will beside someone with a baby and a tent. Just sayin'. It's not worth saving $5 or $10 on your comp fee.

As a promoter, you would have to tell the team their generator does not meet guidelines...I am one of those teams with a Honda..So am I hearing you right, you can provide elecriticty to 42 teams for $420? Not bad...The promoters in CA say it cost a minumum five times that and sometimes ten...I would perfer that money go to prizes, or like I said the teams that need it pay for it, but if you can do it for under $500, Kudos!

As a promoter, you would have to tell the team their generator does not meet guidelines...I am one of those teams with a Honda..So am I hearing you right, you can provide elecriticty to 42 teams for $420? Not bad...The promoters in CA say it cost a minumum five times that and sometimes ten...I would perfer that money go to prizes, or like I said the teams that need it pay for it, but if you can do it for under $500, Kudos!

We actually have 6 - 200amp panels we own on the property and as for the cost, we arent going to charge for it as we consider it part of the infrastructure and sponsorships and VIP tix cover this. We arent doing this to generate income but to create something fun.

You guys are great! We've been soliciting commments about the infrastructure and support and fees you have come to expect at comps, especially the question of what SIZE of a space to be assigned. (Size DOES matter!)
Any other comments are certainly appreciated!

What size do I expect? Exactly as much as we've signed up for.

Which means, if we've signed up for a 20'x20' space to help out a contest that's tight, that does NOT mean 20' minus the guy next door pushing out his slide or hanging his back steps into our prep area.

I know it's hard to tell people "no", but I don't want to be put in the position of having to be the organizer's enforcer on spaces.

And sometimes, he's having to do that because that space is only 19.5'. I'm sorry, but you can't convince two popup canopies that they should be less than 10' each.

And please, talk to your fire inspectors before you do layouts. It sucks to be sold a small space and THEN be told that all cookers have to be 10' minimum from any canopy.

Ash dump, graywater dump, and portajohns are the non-negotiables. We can bring the water and electricity we need if it's necessary. I've seen one contest that thought five portajohns was sufficient for 20+ teams AND the public -- oh no, it surely wasn't.

The bright spot is that rarely have these issues come up over 80+ contests -- but when they do, it takes some of the shine off that contest for us.

Can't speak for the folks with big RV's, but most of the ones we do are either 20x20 or 20-30. We can make do with 20x20 but prefer larger. The pop up is about 20' long when the top is up, and I like to keep my truck next to it, rather than have to go park elsewhere.

What Diva said is key as well! We were at a comp last year, got there a day ahead, set up, and were told the next day we'd need to move because we were overlapping into someone elses space. I took out a tape measure and went marker to marker, and it turned out the organizers had laid the sites out in something of a pie shape, so one site of "our spot" was 20', and the other end was barely 15. We didn't move

Also I didn't mention it but all the competitors at our event get the same benefits as the VIP visitors like special seats at the bands, beer and wine tasting (free), kids area tickets, a non-sanctioned grilling event entry is included in the event fee, and I am personally the "mayor of BBQ town" and I walk around and make sure everyone is happy - and there is anything you need it gets done.

He's not kidding.......I saw his face about every hour, if I needed something or had questions and didnt get help, it was my own fault

20X20 is perfect for us. More is always better but it’s a luxury

We can go 20X15 as long as we know in advance. Anything smaller is impractical.

Whenever we show up and have more space than advertized we are very pleased…to give us less space than advertised is a pretty good way to keep us from returning the following year. In general, that’s the case for just about everything…don’t advertise anything unless you are sure you can deliver. Grand promises may fill up your roster in the first year, but if they aren’t kept it creates huge credibility problems and word travels fast. Conversely…if we end up with a few unadvertised extras (flush toilets, showers, etc.. ) it goes a long way in assuring our return business.

Great thread. Thanks!

If you are starting a comp, look for a local campground. They usually have what cooks are looking for and most times have 20X40 spots with water and electric. It is much easier on your volunteers, it is easy finding bar tenders, but not many people are looking for experience dragging large cables and hoses.

Thoughts:
Grass is better than black top
Some shade is nice
water near by
at least 20 amp electric
ice available
showers saturday AM
centrally located judging area
avoid steep hills
easily can pull out after awards
free whisky

I really like the comment about paying big money for 1st place wins in each category. Most of us have a decent chance of hitting one of these - much better than winning a GC or Reserve. It's hard to justify investing $400 to $500 in a competition to have a chance at winning only $750 or so for first place!
I would also suggest that contests are usually better if they're sanctioned. That way, at least one or two people at the competition has a clue as to how they should be organized! I have a horror story or two I could tell about the flip side of this coin!

Back