THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ask it real nicely?

rim-shot-johnny-utah.thumbnail.jpg

applause.gif

Sorry, couldn't resist the set up.

I actually do not know and am curious to find out myself. So I will be reading with great interest.

one of our brethern makes a pecan rub. maybe he would shed some lite, but maybe not. maybe finely chop and dehydrate then crush into powder. i really dont know. i will be watching this thread as well

I always assumed the pieces in SM rub were ground pieces of pecan and dehydrated apple for those two rubs. But now that I think about it, the pecan rub does not have dark tones from the pecan skin like typical ground pecan. Good stuff however it is done.

I bought some from Cabelas once but didn't care for the texture. It was a honey /pecan. My daughters boy friend loved it on chicken so I gave it to him.

Here's one recipe I found when I was looking for ideas for the venison ~ personally, I find it easier just to buy it from Steph!

jlloyd99 said:
This recipe was actually intended as a breading for venison cutlets but I modified it a bit and used it as a rub on my deer roast this weekend. It turned out wonderful and adds a nice nutty flavor to the meat.

Roasted Pecan Rub
2 cups of pecans, roasted and then chopped fine
1/2 cup bread crumbs
3 Tbls. of your favorite spice blend (I used my normal rub blend but here is your chance to be creative!)

Lay the pecans out on a cookie sheet and roast in the oven on 350 for about 15 min. Let cool and place in a food processor, chop very fine. Combine with remaining ingredients. I use mustard slathered on the meat to hold the rub on. As this makes a big batch you can freeze what you don't use or store in an airtight container.

Here is a pecan rub recipe for pig candy.

mix
1/2 cup pecan meal
1/4 granulated maple sugar

Apply to bacon and smoke until crispy.

You could also add the pecan meal to your favorite rub recipe.

Back