THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

airedale

is one Smokin' Farker
I have seen multiple recommendations here to use a stuffer instead of trying to use my grinder. So I have been shopping a little. 5# is probably my high side batch size, so I don't need a big machine and don't have storage space for one either. I am happy with my #8 LEM grinder.

The LEM 1606 vertical looks like it will do what I need and I have had good experience with LEM. It's around $150 at Amazon.

But then I ran across this guy: https://www.walmart.com/ip/VEVOR-Ho...tuffing-Machine-Commercial-Home-Use/884693370 It's sold all over the the internet at about $110. It's two-speed and more compact than the LEM for storage. Amazon reviews seem decent, though the negative reviews don't have any text to explain the reasons.

Thoughts? Especially: experience?

I have the LEM 5 pound, but recently bought a Weston 15 pounder. Once you get going it's just as easy to grind and mix 15 pounds of meat as it is to do 5 pounds. Yes, you can reload the 5 pounder, but it takes time and your meat is getting warm while you are messing with it. I really like the two speed feature. Webrestaurant store has great prices on their private label stuffers here:

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/av...&utm_term=1100400560695&utm_content=Equipment

Horizontal stuffers do take up more room than verticals do, especially when you get 11lb or bigger stuffers. The 11lb stuffers are about as tall as I would want on a kitchen countertop. I personally prefer electric models so you can truly be a one man operation

All I can help you with is yes.. using a grinder for the additional stuffing is a frustrating thing. Any proper stuffer is better by a long way. For most people 3litres is plenty. You just keep all your additional sausage mix in the freezer to keep it cold. I have a vertical and I really like it. The one you posted looks a little flimsy on the handle. Maybe spend another few dollars and get something more solid.

I have the LEM 5 pound, when making more then 5lbs, the key is to put the extra meat in the freezer while stuffing. This works & is a very simple fix.

I ... Once you get going it's just as easy to grind and mix 15 pounds of meat as it is to do 5 pounds. ...
Yes. The problem for us is not the stuffing. It's the eating. For two people, not eating sausages daily, 15# represents months of consumption. For us, we would only be doing 15# if we were making three or four types.

If you are interested in selling your LEM 5# please PM me.

Interesting. Please report back.

If it has nylon gears I wouldn't touch it. Get the LEM and be done with it.
Me too. I think they are metal but will verify if I decide to pull the trigger on it.

Hmmm ... still no one with experience with a horizontal machine?

Last edited:
No experience with horizontal but I can tell that unless you have it firmly nailed down to the surface of your table/bench,counter, you will have a time trying to use it. Agree with the nylon gears, I have a vertical from Northern Tool for years now and the gears keep slipping when under stress. Holding it down is a chore as well but horizontal would be worse. Northern has a horizontal one that works with a lever (not crank) if I recall. You might check that out.

I have used the Dakota 5# for a number of years. Easy one person operation and never had a problem. Sits on the countertop and never moves. Easy dishwasher cleanup to boot.šŸ˜Ž

Back