THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jermoQ

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jeremy
A week and a half ago, I talked to my dad on the phone. He asked about my opinion on some pellet cookers he could find locally (Treager, GMG, Pitboss) as he was needing to replace his gasser. He has a neighbor who apparently, never or almost never, shuts his off and constantly has something cooking in it, and that convinced him to look into getting one. So I gave him some tips, and warned him it is slightly different taste than he is used to (always have had heavily smokey flavored food in our family). Skip over to early this afternoon....talked to him again. He bought a GMG Daniel Boone, last weekend, then proceeded to catch it on fire the first or second start up (sounds like mostly user error), spent half or more of Monday on the phone, figuring things out with service, and is waiting for a new door, and maybe some other parts. :doh::shocked:. He has it fired back up and is running it fine today, getting ready to cook some pork chops. I could only think to say "make sure you sit down and read the start up and run procedures tonight". He said he has had a few frustrations... (I am feeling some too):frusty:. I will be going Sunday for lunch. I will have to give him a hard time and encourage, so hopefully he will not want to get rid of it. I like my pellet grill, so hopefully he will come to enjoy his also, hopefully fire department free!

I forgot to take pics, but my dad smoked a spiral ham, for lunch, for around 5 or 6 hours at 160. It turned out good for his first dabble into smoking anything. I believe he is going to get into using it a bunch. He has only been a griller every now and then, and only eating Q other places, since he has never had a smoker. I hope he keeps up. It is going to weird me out a little bit when I am eating Q from dad, instead of the other way around. :suspicious:

I enjoyed checking out his Daniel Boone! It is set up a little nicer than my PitBoss 820, with a much larger heat deflector under the grease plate. I like it!

You should get him a fire extinguisher as a gag gift, but no doubt he will get the hang of it in no time. Glad to see he has a new interest especially later in life. Cool to hear he wanted to try something new.

Back