THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

aawa

Babbling Farker
It's been a long time. Life has gotten busy where I am not on the forums as much anymore and even less time to take pictures of cooks and post them. So here is my return to this great place.

I used Ruhlman's pastrami brine recipe.
3/4 cup Kosher Salt
1/2 cup sugar
2 tsp pink salt
5 cloves of garlic
2 tablespoons pickling spice (i used some homemade pickling spice I had when making our pickles)

I split a brisket where the point started and had the flat and point meats brining for a week. I then took it out of the brine, rinsed and wrapped in plastic wrap and put it back in the fridge for a week so the cure equalized in the meat some.

This morning I rubbed it with corriander, black pepper, onion, garlic, and ground mustard.
dUPGD0X.jpg

kxaTReD.jpg

ZyStxaq.jpg

I fired up the WSM to 275-300 degrees with some pecan wood in it. Put the pastrami on and let it go.

About 4.5 hours in, wrapped it up with a splash of beef broth. This was pre wrap picture.
KI9Ntmp.jpg

After about 2.5 hours in, this was the meat and it was nice and tender. The wrapping with liquid provided the braise so I didn't need to steam it to tender.
SivKwhV.jpg

Aq5A7sA.jpg

I let it rest for 2 hours and these were the results.

Lean meat pastrami
qzeCIYY.jpg

Moist meat pastrami
NFjM9DF.jpg

Pastrami sammich (w/ lean and moist) on marbled rye w/ swiss and spicy brown mustard.
K7Hd0dq.jpg

My gf made some sweet potato chips that were served with it. But no pics of everything together. We couldn't help it because we were stuffing our faces.

A teaser for a future cook. I found these yesterday at the Ethnic Market.
HPsZ49A.jpg

Those are the 3 bones per plate beef short ribs, choice grade. $2.99/lb :whoo::whoo::whoo::whoo:

Pastrami is a bit of an anomaly around here but I really like it. Great work. I gotta try one. Beautiful!:thumb:

nice work! :eusa_clap

i too use ruhlman's recipe however i have been using eye of round. my wife and i like how lean the pastrami is when using that cut.

in fact, i have a 6# eye that is going on the smoker today to become pastrami!

going to steal the wrapping in broth idea. beats having to make a mess steaming.

Looks perfect to me.

I got a slice or two for you to taste today Matt.

Pastrami is a bit of an anomaly around here but I really like it. Great work. I gotta try one. Beautiful!:thumb:

You definitely have to give it a try. If you like the store bought stuff, this will blow your mind.

Mmmmmm, Grilled Pastrami and Cheese sammiches!

Dinner last night was great. And today, my coworkers are going to be envious at lunch because they aint me!

Very nice! I do lots of pastramis and love to see a good one. Dang, got to get one going...

Thanks!

nice work! :eusa_clap

i too use ruhlman's recipe however i have been using eye of round. my wife and i like how lean the pastrami is when using that cut.

in fact, i have a 6# eye that is going on the smoker today to become pastrami!

going to steal the wrapping in broth idea. beats having to make a mess steaming.

Hmmm I will give the eye of round a try with it. My gf loves brisket, but normally likes lean beef. She might like eye of round better than the brisket.

Great looking pastrami - do you recall the temp when you wrapped and the temp when you pulled the meat off smoker -

Last one I made was not as tender as I had hoped -

Thank you

Great looking pastrami - do you recall the temp when you wrapped and the temp when you pulled the meat off smoker -

Last one I made was not as tender as I had hoped -

Thank you

I didn't temp the meat ever. When wrapping, I waited till it got to the color I wanted (took about 4.5 hours) Then when I pulled it off, I waited till it was probe tender (about 2.5 hours wrapped)

For reference, here's what eye of round looks like. Very lean.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 13
Back