Home Ground Brisket Burger Help

jzadski

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Joe
So I got some a deal on brisket a while back figured I would break in my father's day present "MEAT" brand grinder 500 Watt. Followed Chuds method. Did one packer plus a flat. Trimmed hard fat off but, that was pretty much it. Even added a little back. First I know now since I made all into burger patties using coarse die twice and there is too much fat. What really bothers me is that each burger has at least 3 or 4 bites with very hard unpleasant pieces. Any knowledge on how to eliminate the hard pieces? Thanks

No idea what Chuds method is. But when I grind brisket for burgers, I only use the flat. I keep the point for burnt ends. I suppose you could probably pull out the big pieces of fat, then re-grind it a third time possibly using a smaller die.

Good meat in, good grind out. I put a lot of time into selecting and trimming the meat that goes through my grinder, I try to remove anything that seems like it would be unpleasant mouth feel, anything stringy or like sinew that could get bound in the cutting blades, etc. some pictures would help, but I’m guessing you left on a lot more fat than you think/thought you did. Even with the hard fat removed, there is still a lot of fat on a brisket. I’m a relatively heavy trimmer and I remove probably 25% of the untrimmed brisket’s weight and there’s still a fair amount left on for eating.

We are in a similar boat. I decided to cut the flat from a packer and use it in my ginder. I sliced it, and was planning on partially freezing and grinding it. Well a month later........

When grinding for burgers, I've always done a coarse followed by a fine grind. Haven't really ever run into the issue you're having, so maybe that's it? Have done it with briskets, chucks, and like you said, take most hard fat off and then eyeball to see if I'm getting about 20ish% fat.

Back