THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jasonjax

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
Jason
For those of you that didn't read my original thread here it is: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=123955

So tonight we cooked the steaks. WOW! I was super impressed with the 14-day dry-aged beef. It had an excellent texture and taste to it. I knew it was a winner when my wife, who is FAR from a steak connoisseur scored three for three on blind taste tests between the control steak and the dry-aged steak.

I am sooooo full right about now, and so far no one is puking. WIN! I will be trying 21-day dry-aged Costco rib eyes next. :)

The big steaks are the "control steaks" The smaller ones are the dry-aged. Rubbed them with kosher salt, fresh cracked pepper, and a little garlic powder.

6692133609_3e1c3dd8e8_z.jpg

My wife loves the griddle cooked steaks so I cooked them on the cast-iron tonight. Turned out awesome.

6692133627_4cafed23ab_z.jpg

Glazed them with a little melted butter a la Ruth's Chris style.

6692133643_4b82e25fa3_z.jpg

Time to chow down! Dry-aged was on top and one of the "control steaks" was on the bottom.

6692133659_f8246ebbf1_z.jpg

Did I mention I was full? Man that is eating right there!

Awesome stuff Jason! Those steaks ALL look good! :thumb: Dry aging is a great process to know if you can avoid them going green on you! :heh:

Cheers

Random question... By chance, do you know the name of the wood those platters are made of? Might have to wait on Marty to pass by. We have a lot of it locally here. We call it "Guango".

Ok :focus:

So, did they melt in your mouth like buttah? They look really good!! :wink:

Fantastic! I am a huge fan of dry aging. I will never buy another prime cut of beef again. Stickily Choice, then dry age, and presto, Prime, and then some :thumb:.

So were the aged cuts markedly better than the control cuts?

Yes! Sorry, I should have been more clear in my post. They were definitely better than the non aged steaks. They had a fantastic texture to them and a more robust flavor. The fact that my wife could tell a difference is very telling.

I will be trying a loin strip primal next time.

What about dry aging a whole beef tenderloin? These can be had at RD at a pretty good deal and need to be trimmed anyway.

Back