THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

bbqgeekess

Babbling Farker
Bought a brisket to cure for pastrami (in the past I've done beef shoulder clod and it worked out well).

I cure it with a dry rub cure of 3% salt, 1% brown sugar and .25% cure #1. Also part of the cure consists of a good amount of coriander seed & black pepper (1.5 parts coriander, 1 part black pepper).

My question is, other than trimming the fat caps and cuting out the sinew (hard fat), should I do any more prep to the brisket before curing? I plan on curing for a month so it should penetrate through everything fine. Should I separate the point from the flat?

I can't fit the entire brisket into the 3 gallon zip lock bags I bought.. thinking about cutting off the thin end of the flat if I don't separate the point from the flat.

Need some ideas.. how would you trim your brisket for pastrami ?

In the past I have trimmed off the excess fat. After a month soak it turns into a weird gel/paste consistency anyway. Definitely not good eats. As far as fitting it all into a bag I used the same pot that I brewed up the brine in (stainless uncoated). Let it cool for a day or ice it down, toss the brisket in and lid it up in the bottom of the fridge. Make damn sure your fridge is under 40 degrees. I shoot for 34 degrees n not because I like cold beer. Its been a couple years but the x loved a dry age brisket for a month then brine for a month. Long wait for a sandwich but so worth it!!

Have you tried the food safe storage bags made for hotel pans? Yhey will work even without a hotel pan.

As far as the fat, I do trim the brisket well, but I would separate the point if only for the fact of an almost even thickness for a consistent cure. But that's just me...

Okay I got a 6 1/2 pound piece of trimmed brisket curing now. It is fairly even thickness and will cure for about 3 weeks (coriander seed and black pepper included). After that, I'll bbq it then take a photo of it being sliced.

Back