THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Early mornin smokin is thinking about this, price is right!
couple questions
1.) taste, tenderness, originality?
2.) minimum number of teams for it to be a state championship
A first year event needs 15 teams to be a state championship
Not 100% on this but I think without a chicken category it would not count towards any of the invitationals

this contest is great for new teams and backyarders who never have done a contest. its a great chance to do a comp under real time conditions and the cash outlay is low. while it may be a "state championship" by proclamation, it is not a KCBS or NEBS event and will not count for points or entry into the Royal or Jack. So if you are looking to venture into the world of competition bbq, this is a good place to start.

A first year event needs 15 teams to be a state championship
Not 100% on this but I think without a chicken category it would not count towards any of the invitationals

^^^^I know its a first time effort, but come on, how hard would it be to add chicken, and make it official, i know all the local brethren would come out for this, even if all the money goes to charity.

I have a feelin that if it was not the same weekend as New Holland that a lot of other local area teams would be considering this event, chicken or no chicken, proclamation or no proclamation.

It is a Charity event for our local Food Pantries and being organized by some of the local Girl Scouts of America.

That's what it's all about as best I can tell.

I brought your concerns about chicken up to the organizers. I would suggest that you do so as well.

rock.hunger@live.com

If I remember right, it says something on the site about there not being any additional fees for added on categories, so maybe they can add chicken.

I'll post when I hear back.

Eric

Unfortunately, the lead time required to register this contest as a KCBS event has long passed. New contests must apply a minimum of 90 days prior to the event date. Like I indicated before, this is a great contest for teams that want to have a good time in relaxed enviroment. Just because its not four catagories does not make it any less fun

^^^^I know its a first time effort, but come on, how hard would it be to add chicken, and make it official, i know all the local brethren would come out for this, even if all the money goes to charity.

Eric - If they add chicken, get a proclamation and get the required 15 teams - isn't that what is required to make it "official" for a potential qualifier (assuming all other criteria is met) ?

That's what I thought, but I'm not close enough to know what other criteria must be met...if any.

To be honest, I don't know. I'll try to find out.

They have the proclamation. I'm pretty sure about needing a minimum of 15 teams.

I'll find out about adding chicken.

Eric

EDIT

I did some quick research and this is what it says on the American Royal website:

Qualifying Contests Include:
·Contests with a “qualifying state championship.” A state championship is a contest with a state proclamation signed by the Governor with at least 15 competing teams the first year and 25 competing teams each subsequent year.
·Contests with a minimum of 50 competing teams are qualifiers and do not require a “state championship” proclamation.
·A state with only one contest must have a minimum of 15 competing teams to be considered but does not require a “state championship” proclamation.
To be considered a “competing team,” teams must submit entries for all contest categories required to be the grand champion or overall winner of that event.

It didn't specify the categories, so maybe chicken isn't required.

Can't find any info on the Jack. I'll keep checking.

Last edited:
Back