Hogs for the Cause

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
Brethren,

The moderators have generously allowed me to post this notice.

On March 27-28th, I will be participating in a charity cook-off called "Hogs for the Cause" here in New Orleans. This event started seven years ago as a simple backyard hog roast to raise money for a young boy with neuroblastoma, a form of pediatric brain cancer. Unfortunately, he died before the fundraiser. The family decided to proceed with the hog roast and donate the money to another family who also had a child with this cancer.

They continued have the event annually and it ultimately grew into a large festival with live music. Last year 90 teams competed around two music stages and raised $1.1M. The organizers of this event are deeply dedicated to their cause. All funds raised are donated directly to help families with the expenses associated with pediatric cancer treatment.

As a team captain, I get e-mails throughout the year inviting me to Children's Hospital each time they give a grant to a family. Unfortunately, I also get e-mails when these children "get their wings". :sad:

This is not a sanctioned event and is solely for bragging rights. Approximately 40 teams have restaurant/chef support; including Emeril's and Donald Link's places. There were a few comp teams and 5 James Beard Award nominee's competing last year as well. The rest of us are just backyard guys.

You can read more about the event here: http://www.hogsforthecause.org/

I would like to invite any and all Brethren to come to this event and ask you to support us. There are several ways you can help us:

1. Ticket Sales - If you buy tickets online, you will be asked if you support a team at checkout. If you select the "Swine Spectators" we get credit for the sale. There are also a limited number of "Boss Hog" passes for $150. (As a Boss Hog you get open bar, a hospitality tent, and private bathrooms.) Boss Hog passes are popular and in limited supply. Don't wait too long if you want one.
  2. Food Sales - We will be selling lots of porcine goodness during the festival, including our whole hog, boudin, cracklin's, and our top-secret Porkpourri.
  3. Donations - If you would like to make a tax-deductible donation, you can mail a check to "Hogs for the Cause 2015" with "Swine Spectators" on the memo line or click here and indicate our team name in the notes at checkout.
Thank you for your consideration. I hope you will come see us, and, if you do, please introduce yourself.

David
The Swine Spectator

Back