Hog butchering

isuhunter

Full Fledged Farker
Good evening everyone!

A friend has a couple hogs that he raised and asked a couple of Us who hunt to come over and help butchers. He isn’t setup for butchering. Any good hog butchering tips you guys have? Or sites you recommend? I’ve helped as a teenager a couple times but that was 20 years ago.

I’m more familiar with a deer than a hog. I’ll see if I can find some YouTube videos to refresh my mind.

Seriously, a Saws-All with a clean blade works wonders on the decapitation and hip bones.

A lot really depends on how much 'stuff' you want to save. Myself with feral hogs, I have so many I just go for the easy stuff.
  • Tie the back legs to the loader bucket and raise the necks a bit above waist high
  • Slit the throats from one side to the other down to the vertebrae (it's pretty easy with a good knife)
  • If you want to save organ meat, decapitate and suspend from the front legs
  • Slice into the belly gently and pull out the intestines
  • Save the organs if you want to
  • Now take the hams off together and split the hip bone with the Saws-All
  • Next comes the loin, ribs, bacon, etc.
  • Now, you are left with the butts which split easy with the Saws-all

If you are saving the skin, boil the carcass first to make it easy to remove the hair/bristles. You can also burn them off with a weed burner. Personally, I just peel the skin away from the Hams and Butts and generally toss the rest into a bait pile but, I've killed as many as 17 hogs in one week so, after harvesting tiny loins the first time and wondering where all the bacon went, today I'm down to 15 minutes or less for one feral hog.

If you are going to put them down with a firearm, study the anatomy first and shoot through the spine at the base of the head. Sinus cavity shots need a high power rifle. :wink: and vital shots are not where they are on a deer either, again study the anatomy first. :wink:

I worked at a meat processing plant many years ago and while I never worked on the slaughtering side, I did work on the butchering/sausage making side, and if you have broken down deer before, then you are probably familiar with where everything is.
When I was a kid, my dad always did his own hog processing when it was cold because I often heard him refer to "hog- killing weather".
As for videos, I don't know of any, but I do know that there are several butchering videos out there.
If you have a lot of meat to grind but lack the resources as most homes do, you may find a local grocery or deer processor that can help you out for a nominal fee. Most will even freezer wrap it for you.

Call in an expert and learn from him. Don't go in cold with a YouTube video and aspirations. Do it right and get some expert help.

Cheers!

Bill

It's not hard, especially if you skin instead of scald and scrape, They come apart just like every other critter, If you try to do it pro style, you'll need saws and maybe cleavers,If you just want the meat, you can bone most of it like a deer...

But...if your not used to doing it I'd suggest one at a time, have a way to chill it and keep the meat cold, breaking it down is pretty fast, making it pretty takes more time.

Appreciate all the input guys!!

Our plans are to bone it out from hanging with the loader and get it inside and chill it.

Thanks guys!!

Sid Post has excellent advice. Aim for the foremen magnum and I would recommend something larger than a 22. One well placed shot will save you having to deal with a wounded pig and all the difficulties associated with that...
Been there, done that.

Back