THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Memphis Que

Knows what a fatty is.
I recently bought a BBQ Guru DigiQ DX2 and love it. Whoever invented this thing is a genius. It's so easy to use and holds temps like an oven. It is truly "set it and forget it" technology. I understand how the fan works to increase the temp if you are below your target temp, but what is really amazing is how it keeps from overshooting the target temp.

I also have a Maverick ET-732 that I use along with the Guru so I can keep track of the food and pit temps from inside the house, and I'm wondering why the Guru folks don't incorporate this feature into their product. I know they have the CyberQ which allows you to check and control the temps over the internet from a remote location, but from what I have read, this thing is a pain to set up especially if, like me, you don't know a modem from a router.

Besides, the CyberQ is really overkill for my purposes. I would never leave my house with a fire in the pit so I have no need for that kind of long distance monitoring and really just want to be able to monitor temps from inside the house like I can with my Maverick. It would be nice to not have to use two devices to do this.

I paid about fifty bucks for my Maverick so the technology can't be that expensive. Does anyone have any insight on why the Guru folks don't incorporate this feature into their device?

I do the same thing with my cyberq 2/ maverick combo I'm thinking about trying the igrill as it allows you to monitor four different probes.
Agree it would be convenient if it was built in but would obviously drive the cost up

A little off topic, but I have to say I love working with my guru. My fan went out, I ordered one Wednesday and it was here on Saturday. Great folks! Looking to buy a digi q next!

Remote access is probably not the original intention of the DigiQ product. The CyberQ Wifi fits the bill for interactive communications, although you indicated that it's overkill for you. It uses wifi, which is more expensive than simple infrared found in the Maverick.

I have a Maverick, but I quickly found it's limitations when moving around the house. It's better just set up on a nearby table for monitoring. I use it for non-Guru cooks, pretty much just for grilling really. I'm thinking that BBQ Guru folks didn't want to deal with unreliable infrared to communicate between the two sides, but I base that totally on conjecture and forgive me if I'm incorrect.

Back