THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

PapaFat

"The killer stalking U.S. hog farms is known as PEDv, a malady that in less than a year has wiped out more than 10 percent of the nation's pig population and helped send retail pork prices to record highs. The highly contagious Porcine Epidemic Diarrhea virus is puzzling scientists searching for its origins and its cure and leaving farmers devastated in ways that go beyond financial losses."

http://www.dailyfinance.com/2014/04/28/pork-prices-rise-pig-virus-spreads/

I can't help but think about the anti biotic they give live stock creating a super virus. It may just be irresponsible speculation on my part..... perhaps but then again maybe not.

I may offend, but do not apologize for my opinion. The Chinese recently bought Smithfield, the virus is the same strain as the one in China, and "they" can't figure out how it got into the US? Not that hard to figure out. At least the way I see it.

Old news along with high beef prices. Heck high everything prices.

Doom and gloom
I can assure you this is serious stuff. Pork producers and livestock haulers are worried about this big time.

I can't help but think about the anti biotic they give live stock creating a super virus. It may just be irresponsible speculation on my part..... perhaps but then again maybe not.

Antibiotics don't kill viruses. This is a very contagious virus that is passed around very easily. It will travel on vehicles, clothing, or anything else that moves from farm to farm. The reason this is hitting so hard is that it hits baby pigs really hard. Older pigs can recover from getting this virus.

i may offend, but do not apologize for my opinion. The chinese recently bought smithfield, the virus is the same strain as the one in china, and "they" can't figure out how it got into the us? Not that hard to figure out. At least the way i see it.

remember pearl farkin harbor!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Antibiotics don't kill viruses. This is a very contagious virus that is passed around very easily. It will travel on vehicles, clothing, or anything else that moves from farm to farm. The reason this is hitting so hard is that it hits baby pigs really hard. Older pigs can recover from getting this virus.

Like I said, irresponsible speculation. Thanks for pointing that out....... now about that China thing. I've read the art of war and one tactic is to weaken your enemy from within.

What's that? I'm doing it again? I just can't help myself.

I wonder if someone started a totally contained organic pig farm would they have a potential big money maker? Of course I work in an office.

It maybe old news but last week was the first time I paid more for pork. I've never seen pork at $4 lbs across the board at a super market.

You don't buy very much bacon then. Been over $5/pound for months. Currently $5.69.

That's why when I was at a local market and saw good bacon for $1.48/lb I bought every bit of it on the shelf. It's the kind that usually is $7/lb.

I may offend, but do not apologize for my opinion. The Chinese recently bought Smithfield, the virus is the same strain as the one in China, and "they" can't figure out how it got into the US? Not that hard to figure out. At least the way I see it.

No one knows for sure how the virus got to the U.S. but the most talked about source was likely through imported feed ingredients (synthetically produced amino acid supplements).

I bought baby back ribs for 2.19 a lb this week
bought bacon 1.49 a lb for 10 lbs 3 weeks ago brisket at Sams 2.98 lb
for prime packer this week

don't know but i drove truck all my life i was told by a couple of my old driving buddies that go the the smithfield plant in nc that is full of shipping containers full of pork going to china!!:mad2:

Back