High Plains Shenanigans - Thai Ribs & Wangs

ShadowDriver

somebody shut me the fark up.
Name or Nickame
Marc
Made it home on Friday evening. Base Public Affairs posted our 8-ship return. :shock: :cool:

Here's another quick bit of airplane Pr0n. (Can't help myself)

0dxVd6Dh.jpg

Someone caught us in a shot from their kitchen/dining room!

LBbVRK3h.jpg

CINCHOUSE asked me to whip up some Thai-Inspired ribs (a la Buccs).

Here they are after a night spent in soy, fish sauce, diced shallots, garlic, and some ground Thai chili.

25S4pPAh.jpg

It was bloody hot, and the beer finally got cold

srHcvOHh.jpg

It's not polite to mention the size of one's sausage, but I smoked a Monster Fatty for the family.

Hz5hzAVh.jpg

UdAeNjeh.jpg

Soon, the BossLady had some cauliflower "mac & cheese" for me to add to the smoker, and the ribs needed their glaze.

djYI5DHh.jpg

Sautéed Garlic & Chili Spinach (a la The Maid's Head in Wicken, East Cambs, UK) is up next.

Thai Curry Chicken Wings are on the menu for tomorrow night. More shenanigans to follow.

All that looks great - very curious about the cauliflower dish - what's going on there? I've heard of people doing a mash tater type thing with cauliflower also. I love those kinda dishes but don't them much in order to retain my girlish figure.

Thai ribs - that's gonna happen very soon here at casa de gtr!

Thanks for posting - loving all of it!

Ribs look on point!

Many thanks. At the wrap, I realized that our munchkin drank all the apple juice. I substituted apple sauce.... and it worked like a champ! Just a crazy thought/idea.

All that looks great - very curious about the cauliflower dish - what's going on there? I've heard of people doing a mash tater type thing with cauliflower also. I love those kinda dishes but don't them much in order to retain my girlish figure.

Many thanks, brother. Here's CINCHOUSE's Go-To recipe:

Ingredients
Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
Vegetable oil spray
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions
Special equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish (Honestly, I prefer a good aluminum foil pan of some reasonable size)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.
Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.

Side Note: - Instead of using the oven, I like to whack the lot into the smoker on 250-300-325F (whatever) for a bit until the top is nicely bubbly and a little brown.

Nice cook. Were those AC130s?

AC-130s have some additional "appendages" hangin' out the left side (the guns), and they have no need of refueling pods on the wings!

Those lovely horses were MC-130J Commando IIs!

NWOTD!

Looks great! C130's are cool....food looks good too :thumb:

If you want to get all authentic up in that Tecate, try splashing some Valentina or similar hot sauce around the lid then squirt some lime juice on it.

Many thanks. At the wrap, I realized that our munchkin drank all the apple juice. I substituted apple sauce.... and it worked like a champ! Just a crazy thought/idea.

Many thanks, brother. Here's CINCHOUSE's Go-To recipe:

Ingredients
Kosher salt, as needed, plus 1/2 teaspoon
1 large head cauliflower, cut into small florets
Vegetable oil spray
1 cup heavy cream
2 ounces cream cheese, cut into small pieces
1 1/2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar, plus 1/2 cup for topping the casserole
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder

Directions
Special equipment: 8 by 8-inch baking dish (Honestly, I prefer a good aluminum foil pan of some reasonable size)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Season the water with salt.
Spray the baking dish with vegetable oil spray.
Cook the cauliflower in the boiling water until crisp-tender, about 5 minutes. Drain well and pat between several layers of paper towels to dry. Transfer the cauliflower to the baking dish and set aside.
Bring the cream to a simmer in a small saucepan, and whisk in the cream cheese and mustard until smooth. Stir in 1 cup of the cheese, salt, pepper and garlic and whisk just until the cheese melts, about 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from heat, pour over the cauliflower, and stir to combine. Top with the remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake until browned and bubbly hot, about 15 minutes. Serve.

Side Note: - Instead of using the oven, I like to whack the lot into the smoker on 250-300-325F (whatever) for a bit until the top is nicely bubbly and a little brown.

AC-130s have some additional "appendages" hangin' out the left side (the guns), and they have no need of refueling pods on the wings!

Those lovely horses were MC-130J Commando IIs!

NWOTD!

Thanks. I need to hit the Janes books again.

If you want to get all authentic up in that Tecate, try splashing some Valentina or similar hot sauce around the lid then squirt some lime juice on it.

I have both Valentina's and Lime Juice almost at arm's length. I'll have to try this most Rikki Tik. Thank you.

Ack! Apologies - Forgot the plated shot!

WGcx7Ubh.jpg

Bam!

Afterthoughts:
- The Cauliflower "Mac & Cheese" could use a good stir while on the smoker, as the seasoning was all on the top... the saltiness of the cheese and some extra garlic... and it was tops, when I got a bit of that throughout a bite.
- Oh, Lord... Stuart, the Chef ('09 - '12) at the Maid's Head really spoiled us. Good sautéed chili garlic spinach is ah-mazing. If you've not tried to make it yourself... you really should.

More to follow.

Last edited:
Is the John Henry's Apple Chipotle rub very hot, for some of us spice wussies?

No, it's not. It comes near to a "mild simmer" if anything. Put another way - My 2 yr old loves a slice of griddled JH Apple Chipotle Fatty. If concerned about heat, I'd skip the "hot" sausage, and go right to mild or some other fun flavor of JD chubs.

Owens? Haven't seen that. How does it rank?

No idea, to be quite honest. It was on sale, and I bit. I'll hollar once we've tried a slice or two.

Thanks. I think we'll give it a whirl.

I have a nephew who flies C-130s out of Colorado Springs. We have a few shots of him and his wing in the air.

Great looking dinner Marc. Really like the shots of the Commando II's also. It's hard to decide which I like best actually, the food or the planes. But hey, you know my love for planes! Especially the one I use as my Avatar!
Another great cook! :thumb:

Really like the shots of the Commando II's...

Cheers, brother... Please give "Fez" some grief and show him the photos with my compliments.

Old friend of mine ("Cruella") just finished her tour as Tiger 01... the folks at ETNG won't be the same.

Best to you, Fez, and the rest of your "Whackers."

Cheers, brother... Please give "Fez" some grief and show him the photos with my compliments.

Old friend of mine ("Cruella") just finished her tour as Tiger 01... the folks at ETNG won't be the same.

Best to you, Fez, and the rest of your "Whackers."

Hah! Will do for sure!

Fly safe brother!

Great photos and cook Marc. I have been spending some time with the Apaches and Little Birds. I missed being around the 160th and their toys!

Thanks for sharing.

Back