Here is a recipe for delicious Tri Tip Pastrami

bbqpitsmoker

Full Fledged Farker
Here is quick, easy, and very delicious version of Pastrami to use as the base for great deli style sandwiches. Note to the purists - this omits a nitrate based cure in favor of regular kosher salt, but to my taste buds it still produces a delicious result. The thing about this recipe is that you get a great result from a small time commitment for those times when a longer cook of a brisket etc.. isn't possible.

Ingredients:

4 pounds of Tri-Tip (mine was coincidentally pre-cut by the butcher into 1 pound pieces)

Salt for dry brine: 2 tsp

Dry rub:
5 tsp sweet paprika (get the best quality you can, extra points for fresh Hungarian or Spanish because you are looking for flavor rather than just color as in some recipes)
2tsp hot paprika (could probably experiment with different quantities of cayenne pepper if you can't get a good hot paprika)
2 tsp garlic powder
4 tsp coarse ground pepper
4tsp coriander powder

Method:

1. Spread the salt evenly all over the meat as far in advance of the cook as you can, up to 24 hours in advance if possible, and put back in the fridge.
2. Get smoker up to around 275F
3. Thoroughly mix the rub ingredients together, and use ALL of the rub on the meat. It will seem like too much, but it isn't. If you get to the point where the last bit of rub won't stick, spray the meat a few times with your water spray bottle and add the last bit of rub onto the meat.
4. Cook using indirect heat to an internal temp of 145F. Some people cook regular Tri-Tip to different internal temps, but I find that there is something great about the texture of the meat at this temp that makes it more like conventional brisket based pastrami.
5. Mist the meat with whatever you choose throughout the cook. I just used water.
6. When it is at 145F, pull the meat and rest for a long time, like around 30 mins until it is barely warm. There is something about Tri-Tip more than many other cuts of meat that just punishes an impatient cook by spilling out all of its delicious juices if you slice it too soon. When I rest mine for this long, it is the most juicy amazing meat ever, and the cutting board is nearly dry after slicing.
7. Slice as thinly as you have the patience for against the grain and pile high on rye bread loaded with your favorite mustard.

Last edited:
Back