THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Oh yeah... the first comp. I remember it like it was just last week.

You will do fine. Just do the best you can, have fun, and be sure and just enjoy it. You will learn a LOT, so take the time to really enjoy it. Be sure and talk to the other teams, introduce yourself, let them know this is your first, and I am sure if you need any help, someone will be there to help you out.....

And you better let us know how it went.... :biggrin:

Good luck!I am doing a full practice tonite and tomorrow so I will be with all you guys competing this weekend.

And it's over

Well the 1st one is under the belt thank god. It was a learning experience to say the least. I read and reread the threads on 1st time mistakes and what to do and not do. I still ending up doing things wrong. The two biggest things was not having a written out plan and timing. This was only backyard I hate to think how bad it would have been for pro.
I thought I had it all down no need to write it down. When the time came to cook I went into stupid mode or something I guess. I over cooked the chicken and undercooked the ribs. We finished 34 out of 38 overall. 27th in chicken and DAL in ribs. Also learned that I really do need more than 4 hours sleep in a camp chair.

On the plus side of things we met some really great folks, made a lot of new friends. Even met a brethren QN. Picked up a lot of pointers and had fun. Can’t wait to do it again and redeem us from the hellish 1st event.

Here some pics
My site
S7300051.jpg

Kyle eating
S7300052.jpg

Got to meet Mike and Debbie (lottaBull) really nice people.
S7300057.jpg

other stuff
S7300060.jpg

S7300061.jpg

Sorry your results weren't better, but it sounds like you and Kyle had a good time. Just take what you learned and get better next time!

BTW, anyone would need more than four hours sleep in a camp chair :-D

Looks like you were up against some very good competition. For our first comp., we were happy just to have the experience. Focus on the positives. See where your deficiences were and work on those. Welcome to Comp. BBQ. It only gets better...

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Congratulations!!! You SURVIVED! You got rid of the first contest jitters. You made new friends. You spent quality time with your son. You had fun, right? Most importantly, you learned stuff. Poohbah always told me that it takes five to six contests before things really just start to "click". Get back on that horse and make your improvements for next time!

Hey you did not come in dead last. That is good. The first comp I did I got second place chicken, and dead last in everything else. We are still improving and hoping for a better season this year. Having said that, I go out to meet people and have a good time. If I cook good and have a call out or improve my scores GREAT, if not then as long as I had fun that is all I care about.

Thanks for the update... I'm glad you got through it and it sounds like you have some ideas for making it better. Writing down a timeline is a definite.

Isn't that cooker that Lotta Bull has gorgeous?

Learn from your mistakes.... you did good... you didn't come last, and you survived....

Now while it is somewhat fresh on your mind, start them notes... the things you learned and the things not to do next time.

Sounds just like me the first time out.... I even was watching the team next to me to get hints on when to fire up the cooker, etc..... talk about the lost everything in the mind mod.....

BTW, nice looking CG in the background. I use two of them. They will do you good, but give yourself some extra time. I just took 1st place in ribs on Saturday with mine.... :razz: It can be done....:biggrin:

Back