THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

GrillinFool,
When you brush on more herbed oil through the course of the cook, are you doing both sides of the racks or just the top?

I just did the top. I'm normally not a fan of that, but I figured the oil is much thinner than any sauce I would normally put on ribs (although I rarely sauce ribs), and that it would just run off the bottom and be a waste.

Also, is it essential to put the sliced onion and garlic cloves in water so they don't burn too fast or is it just to keep them fresher after slicing?
I'm hoping to try these on the weekend.

I have been asking myself this question for a little while. The reason I soak them in water is because the first time we did this about 10 years ago we soaked them in water. We figured that it would be like wood chips. Soaking them would make them last longer. But they are full of moisture already, right? I'm not sure they need to be soaked, but I'd have to do them again to find out. So, I don't rightly know the answer. I find a ton of BBQ norms are based on what people did for years that aren't necessarily needed, but are tradition. I may have created one of those here. It may not be needed at all...

Sounds like something to check out - great post/pron - thanks for putting that up! I like dishes where the meat itself is the star - that's actually my favorite approach. I've been throwing onions in the firebox of my offset for a long time - I can't really say for sure if it makes a difference but it sure does smell good.

Thanks for the additional info. I have a rack in the freezer I had planned to do on Sunday, but it won't be thawed and the family is requesting mojo grilled pork tenderloin, so the herb and garlic ribs will have to wait - drat!

Sounds like something to check out - great post/pron - thanks for putting that up! I like dishes where the meat itself is the star - that's actually my favorite approach. I've been throwing onions in the firebox of my offset for a long time - I can't really say for sure if it makes a difference but it sure does smell good.

Quite a few street vendors in Toronto put onion slices on their grills to lure hapless consumers of street meat with the bewitching aroma.

This is definitely that. It's not ribs over sauced or slathered with a potent rub. You get the onion and garlic, you get the herbs, but they pair with the meat rather than overpowering. Really good.

I use the same smoking method on my Chargriller as you. I'll have to try that onion trick soon.
4-29-11025.jpg

Back